Recruitment for an experienced Health Specialist in Dili – Timor-Leste
The World Bank is searching for an experienced Health Specialist to join the team leading the ongoing health sector work in Timor-Leste. The person recruited will be joining the East Asia and Pacific Health, Nutrition and Population sector (EASHNP) and will be based in Dili. His/her main responsibility will be to provide continuous field support to project implementation, working jointly with other World Bank team members (including other health sector, financial management, procurement, and operations specialists), the MOH staff, AusAID and other development partners (DPs) that actively support the improvement of the country’s health sector performance. The position is initially being advertised as a two-year contract with a possible extension based on satisfactory performance and work program needs.
Specific duties of the referred health specialist include the following:
• Actively contribute with strategic policy and technical inputs and foster regular policy dialogue with government and key DPs in order to provide effective support through HSSP-SP to the implementation of the National Health Sector Strategic Plan 2011-2020.
• In coordination with other team members, provide day-to-day implementation support to the MoH for HSSP-SP and related activities. This includes actively identifying and resolving implementation bottlenecks and closely working with other World Bank colleagues (including financial management and procurement specialists in the WB’s offices in Timor, Sydney and headquarters) as well as with other technical advisors and counterparts working under HSSP-SP.
• Participate, as needed, in relevant analytical and technical work in the health sector in Timor-Leste and the region; as requested, provide technical input in sector and country strategies led by the CMU.
• Support the MoH’s Department of Partnership Management, Office of Cooperation of External Partner Funding and Directorate of Planning and Finance and DPs to improve sector wide working practices including joint planning, budgeting, policy dialogue, and sector monitoring and evaluation.
• Participate in and contribute to joint MoH / DPs technical and implementation support missions as appropriate, ensuring their successful progress; help identify the need for specialized consultants in conjunction with MoH and other team colleagues and partners, and follow their work for improved effectiveness.
• Assist in needed cross-sector coordination issues within the broader World Bank team and relevant DPs including, for example, public sector performance, financial management, environmental health, water and sanitation and education.
• Maintain at all moments solution-focused attitude and effective communication within the Bank, with government officials and with other DPs.
• Post graduate degree in health, economics/finance or a related sector discipline
• Minimum 5 years of experience in international health and development involving low income and/or low-middle income countries, including experience managing or participating in projects or programs in a timely and effective way
• Experience and commitment to applying agreed international principles for development/aid effectiveness
• Sound understanding of health system issues, particularly related to health financing, human resource management, health service provision, health information systems and health outcomes
• Experience working in politically sensitive environments with senior government officials and other organizations; ability to look ahead and identify issues that may arise, and to respond quickly and constructively to these
• Strong organizational and communication skills with proven ability to work in multi-donor settings, and effective written and oral communication skills
• Strong command of spoken and written English
• Broad understanding of monitoring and evaluation approaches in the health sector with an ability to manage for, and report on, progress and results
• Capacity to positively interact in teams
Desirable Selection Criteria
• Specific experience in post-conflict countries or countries with fragile operating environments
• Working knowledge of Portuguese, Bahasa Indonesia, and/or Tetun would be an asset.
• Experience working with World Bank project management and operations
The Health Specialist will report to the East Asia and Pacific Health, Nutrition and Population Sector Manager (based in Washington). Day-to-day reporting will be to the HNP team leader for Timor-Leste and to the World Bank Country Manager in Dili as need arises.
Application process/ Contact details/ Additional Information:
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender nationality, culture, and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence
Enquiries: World Bank Building, Rua LEcidere Dili Timor-Leste