Job Advertisement (Re- Advertisement)
UmaAmerika@UN TL Coordinator
Under the general supervision of the Rectorate of the Universidade Nacional Timor Lorosa’e (UNTL), the Coordinator of the UmaAmerika@UNTL in Dili coordinates, plans, organizes, and directs the activities of the UmaAmerika in close cooperation with the U.S. Embassy in Dili. The UmaAmerika Coordinator also serves as the main liaison between the UNTL and the U.S. Embassy in Dili, as well as local agencies, business, schools, and organizations with an interest in partnering with UmaAmerika to conduct joint programming and joint initiatives. The UmaAmerika Coordinator will also lead a team of volunteers to run daily operations of the space, maintain the premises and equipment, as well as promote UmaAmerika through both traditional and virtual media.
UmaAmerika is an American-style library, research center, cultural center, and high-tech design space open to the general public of all ages. Its principal goal will be to increase mutual understanding between Timor-Leste and the USA, by:
- Providing a state-of-the-art study and research space for university students, professors & researchers with access to a first-class U.S. research databases and information about the United States.
- Organizing American-themed cultural and informational programs.
- Supporting English language instruction in Timor-Leste in partnership with the UNTL’s ELC and ETELP program, as well as other local partners.
- Engaging with alumni of U.S. exchange programs.
- Promoting, advising and preparing Timorese students for study opportunities in the United States.
In addition to electronic resources, UmaAmerika will also house a book collection, reference materials, films & documentaries, as well as a substantial English teaching and children’s literature collection.
- Citizen of Timor-Leste.
- University-level education.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, in both Tetum & English. Basic knowledge of Portuguese preferred.
- Experience working in a library, research or cultural center preferable.
- Ability to prepare written reports, correspondence and maintain accurate records in English.
- Experience working with youth audiences and willingness to lead a team of volunteers.
- General knowledge of U.S. history & politics, values, society, culture, and education.
- Ability to assess community interest in American topics.
- Ability to plan and organize a wide variety of programs for target audiences.
- Ability to create, promote and evaluate programs & events that promote UmaAmerika & its resources.
- An “entrepreneurial spirit” that can identify and follow up on alternate sources of financial support for UmaAmerika.
- Ability to plan and maintain a budget.
- Skill in prioritizing work assignments.
- Ability to leverage social media tools, primarily Facebook, to engage with a virtual audience.
- Willingness to sometimes work on evenings and weekends.
Interested in applying? Please forward a CV (Resume) and cover letter indicating your interest in this position and why you would be best qualified, as well as a list of three references to the following address: UmaAmerika.UNTL@gmail.com