U.S. Mission Dili, Timor-Leste
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: 2016-20
OPEN TO: All Interested Candidates / All Sources
POSITION: Gardener Supervisor
OPENING DATE: August 1, 2016
CLOSING DATE: Until filled
WORK HOURS: Full-time, 40 hours/week
SALARY: Ordinarily Resident (OR): FSN-2 $3,332 per annum (Starting salary)
ALL ORDINARILY RESIDENT (OR) APPLICANTS (See Appendix A for definition) MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION.
The U.S. Mission in Dili, Timor-Leste is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Gardener Supervisor.
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
Head gardener and horticulturist of the gardening section. Responsible for the maintenance of all gardens, lawns, undeveloped land and paved areas for US Government owned and leased non-residential and official residential properties. Manages equipment assets valued in excess of $200,000. Responsible for the maintenance and operation of a state of the art underground irrigation system located at the embassy compound. Directly supervises 9 Gardening Laborers. May, as needed, supervise occasional (WAE) gardening laborers or contractors during peak work periods.
Applicants must address each required qualification listed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- EDUCATION: Completion of primary school is required.
- EXPERIENCE: At least two years practical gardening experience, including six months experience with irrigation systems, practical turf management experience. A minimum of 6 months of supervisory experience is required.
- LANGUAGE: Level I (Rudimentary knowledge) for in English and Level II (Limited Knowledge) for Tetum (or Bahasa) are required. (This will be tested.)
- SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Must have a valid driver’s license. Must be in good physical condition and able to perform arduous manual labor outdoors in all types of extreme weather. Must be able to operate all types of gardening equipment including street vehicles, turf vehicles, motorized equipment, and tools both powered and manual. Ability to operate high-powered and physically dangerous equipment in a safe manner to protect himself, other persons and physical property.
- JOB KNOWLEDGE: General knowledge of trees, plants and shrubbery, their illnesses, cures, propagation, and seasonal maintenance requirements.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: The complete position description listing all of the duties and responsibilities may be obtained on our website at http://timor-leste.usembassy.gov and/or by contacting the Human Resources Office MagnoAG@state.gov