Internally & Externally
CARE International in Timor-Leste – CITL
Job Title Gender Advisor
Salary From US$1,109 per month plus benefit
Reports to Program Quality Unit Manager
Works with Program Quality Unit, Gender Focal Points, CARE Australia Gender Advisor and Senior Program Quality Advisor
Location Based in Dili, with frequent travel to field locations
Contract duration 6 months with possibility of multi-year extension
About the Role:
In 2013 CARE International in Timor-Leste developed a Gender and Women’s Empowerment Strategy (2015 – 2018) which outline’s CARE’s goal to become an organisation that actively and effectively promotes gender equality and women’s empowerment with women, men, boys and girls in Timor-Leste, with our partners and within our organisation. In 2015 CARE finalised the Long Term Programme which aims to improve the voice and wellbeing of women and girls in rural disadvantages areas with specific priority areas including women’s voice, women’s economic empowerment, sexual reproductive and maternal health and education. Gender equality and women’s empowerment is therefore the core of CITL’s work.
The Gender Advisor is responsible for supporting the CARE International in Timor-Leste Country Office to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment throughout our project and program work, within our organisation and with our partners. CARE International in Timor-Leste’s Gender and Women’s Empowerment Strategy (2015 – 2018) provides the guiding framework for this work and directly informs the Gender Coordinator’s work-plan.
Specific roles and responsibilities of the Gender Coordinator are:
- Coordinate the implementation of CARE International in Timor-Leste’s Gender and Women’s Empowerment Strategy, including six-monthly reporting to the Senior Management Team and quarterly updates to the Programme Management Team;
- Support program and project teams to include gender transformative approaches throughout activity implementation, monitoring, evaluation and learning;
- Provide coaching and training support on women’s empowerment and gender to CARE staff, partner staff and project beneficiaries;
- Coordinate CARE’s Gender Working Group and Gender Focal Points;
- Actively contribute to relevant information and advocacy networks and forums, in Timor-Leste and internationally as required;
- Maintain an awareness of CARE work on gender internationally and in the region;
- Support the development and implementation of gender sensitive organisational systems and policies.
- Support the Program Quality Team and Program Quality Manager in relevant activities as required.