The United States Embassy in Dili, Timor-Leste is pleased to announce the opening of the Fulbright Foreign Student Scholarship Competition for the 2018-2019 Academic Year. The Fulbright Foreign Student Program brings citizens of other countries to the United States for Master’s degree at U.S. universities. The program has brought some of the world’s finest minds to the USA and offers program participants’ insight into U.S. society and values. Many foreign Fulbright grantees are early-career professionals who will return to take leadership positions in their home countries.
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program is sponsored by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the United States Department of State. The Fulbright-SERN Graduate Scholarship is an addition to the traditional Fulbright Graduate Scholarship Program in Timor-Leste with the support of the Bayu-Undan Joint Venture.
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program will award up to two (2) scholarships for Timorese citizens to pursue master’s degrees in any field at U.S. universities, beginning in August 2018. The grant covers expenses incurred for travel to and from the USA, tuition, books, health insurance, and room and board.
The Fulbright-SERN Graduate Scholarship Program, supported by the Ministry of Petroleum and Mineral Resources (MPRM) and the Bayu-Undan Joint Venture will award scholarships up to five (5) for Timorese citizens to pursue Master’s degrees in fields of study deemed strategic by the Fulbright-SERN committee as listed below:
- Master’s or MBA degrees in the following fields: Energy Studies with specializations in oil and gas economics, Petroleum, Energy Economics and Finance, Petroleum Taxation and Finance, International Mineral Resources Management, International Oil and gas management, Oil and gas enterprise management, Mining Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mining Health and Safety, Mineral Processing, Sustainable Mineral Resource Development, Mining Economics, Natural Resources Economics, Energy Economics, Geo-Mechanics, Project Economics, Geoscience and Resource Engineering, Integrated Petroleum and Geoscience, Petroleum, Energy Economics and Finance, Petroleum Taxation and Finance, International Mineral Resources Management and Geology.
- LLM (Master of Laws) degrees with the following concentrations: Mineral/Mining Law, Energy Law, Natural Resources Law, Business and Corporate Law, International Business Law, Environmental Law and Maritime Law.
Students selected for both programs will begin their academic programs in U.S. universities the following summer 2018. The grants cover expenses incurred for travel to and from the United States, tuition and books, health insurance, and room and board.
To be eligible, you must:
- Have completed the equivalent of four years of full-time study at the tertiary level and obtained a bachelor’s degree by the time you take up your award, but not yet hold a doctoral degree;
- Plan to undertake full-time postgraduate study or research at a U.S. institution for the period of the award.
- Proficiency in English at a level sufficient to undertake graduate studies in the United
- Meet the citizenship requirements for this award.
- Preference for Fulbright graduate awards is given to candidates who have not previously received a Fulbright graduate award.
You are eligible to apply for this award if:
- You are a Timorese citizen;
- You are not a permanent resident or citizen of the US;
- You are not currently living in the US.
NOTE: Candidates who have previously applied for a Fulbright graduate award, but were not awarded a scholarship are welcome to apply again.
The deadline for submission of applications is 0500pm am Saturday, June 17, 2017 (Dili time). Complete information and application forms, instructions and guidelines can be picked up at the U.S Embassy in Dili. You can also email FulbrightTimorLeste@state.gov or call 3324684 Ext. 2035 for further information.
Program applications can also be completed online at the Embark website: