Date: March 1, 2017
Closure Date: Open until filled, apply by March 15, 2017 for priority screening
Position Title: Safety and Security Manager
Salary: Salary range $17,869.50 – 23,977.80 annually plus benefits
(Starting salary depends on salary history, experience, and qualifications)
The United States Peace Corps program in Timor-Leste seeks a qualified and motivated candidate for the following full-time position: Safety and Security Manager.
The United States Peace Corps is a non-political, non-religious organization, which brings American Volunteers to various munispiu in Timor-Leste to work with communities on development projects on two-year assignments. The Peace Corps is an agency of the United States Government and was founded by President John F. Kennedy in 1961. General information about Peace Corps can be found atwww.peacecorps.gov.
The role of the Safety and Security Manager (SSM) is to support security-related functions (i.e. site inspection and selection, Volunteer site visits, emergency planning, incident response, etc.) that are critical to post operations and Volunteer support. The SSM reports to the Country Director (CD) who manages day to day workload, while the Office of Safety and Security provides technical oversight of security related matters and SSM professional development.
Major Duties Include (but not limited to):
- Coordinate security programs, and maintain safety equipment, procedures, and documentation;
- Considerable travel throughout Timor-Leste to visit Volunteers and build relationships with community members, local leaders and local authorities;
- Remain on duty and carry phone to respond to individual and large-scale emergencies on short notice: 24 hours/day, 7 days/week;
- Liaise with local law enforcement and U.S. government officials;
- Monitor and disseminate information about security issues;
- Design and conduct trainings for American Volunteers and community members;
- Perform housing checks for American Volunteers and train staff in performing housing checks to assess for safety and security;
- Conduct post-incident assessments to identify any ongoing threats or security concerns and develop mitigation strategies.
· Experience with safety and security programs of Peace Corps
– OR –
· Experience with safety and security programs of similar NGO/development organizations
– OR –
· Relevant professional security or law enforcement experience
· Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with other organizations, including local law enforcement, criminal justice, emergency management and other NGO/development agencies;
· Ability to demonstrate empathy and active listening skills to support American Volunteers who may be victim of crime or other violence;
· Ability to analyze crime trends and other risks and propose mitigation strategies;
· Demonstrated organizational and communication skills;
· Ability to work with Microsoft Office Suite (especially MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint), and other basic computer knowledge;
· Ability to conduct training and give presentations, in both English and Tetun; Level 4 (fluent) in speaking, reading, writing and understanding English and Tetum required;
· High school diploma required; university degree strongly preferred;
· Ability to travel on short notice and operate a manual 4-wheel drive vehicle (with valid vehicle driving license);
· Resourcefulness and flexibility in dealing with emergency situations
· Knowledge of current events, safety/security issues, and criminal justice system in Timor-Leste
Security Clearance: Candidate must be able to obtain a security clearance from U.S. Embassy which requires a National ID Card and recent/valid Ministry of Justice Requerimento de Certificado de Registo Criminal. Candidates without these documents may apply, but they should start working on obtaining these documents immediately. Candidates will also require a valid passport and must not have any restrictions on travel to the United States from previous experience.
Important! Applicants must clearly describe or demonstrate how they meet each of the above qualifications in a Cover Letter written in English to be considered. Resumes/CVs should not exceed 4 pages. Please do NOT send additional attachments, such as certificates, at this time. Qualified and interested candidates should send their Cover Letter and Resume/CV by e-mail email@example.com. The Cover Letter and Resume/CV should be sent as attachments with the applicant’s name in the file names. Applicants should use the following subject line for the email: Application for SSM. Applications without the correct subject line may be disqualified.
The Peace Corps is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Closing date: position remains open until filled—applicants should apply before March 15 for priority consideration. No phone calls or personal visits related to this vacancy will be accepted. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.