INTERNALLY & EXTERNALLY
Title: Program Officer
Program: Improving Government Accountability Through Social Auditing
Reports to: Program Coordinator
Unit: Timor-Leste Office
Work Location: Dili with some travel to municipalities
Contract Duration: One year from start date, with possibility of renewal
The Program Officer will work closely with the Social Audit program team to track and document program activities and to support civil society partner grantees to ensure quality implementation of all phases of social audit projects. The Program Officer will support logistical and administrative as well as technical aspects of program implementation. In coordination with the Program Coordinator, Community Engagement Manager, and Senior Program Officer for Survey Implementation, he or she will work closely with local partners in designing and implementing M&E of social audit program activities; testing and refining tools; and reviewing results, including partner reports. The Program Officer will also assist with grants management, from the call for proposals stage through to close-out, in both years of the two-year program.
In late 2016, NGO Forum Timor-Leste (FONGTIL) and The Asia Foundation began implementing a program, funded by the European Union, to support local non-governmental organizations (NGOs) to implement social audits and use the results to advocate to government for more effective and appropriately resourced public services for communities across the country.
The program directly supports the ongoing efforts of Prime Minister Rui Maria de Araújo, who introduced the social audit initiative at the swearing in of the new government in early 2015. The Prime Minister identified the priority sectors of agriculture, education, health, and basic infrastructure, and the government and civil society subsequently forged a partnership for social auditing marked by a Memorandum of Understanding between FONGTIL and the Prime Minister. The social audits will support citizens to evaluate public sector policy and implementation against the government’s stated objectives and commitments, using concrete evidence that has been collected in a participatory and inclusive manner.
This program will result in the development and refinement of rigorous tools and guidelines for data collection and citizen engagement, financial and technical support to NGOs to implement social audit projects nation-wide, and support to ensure that the findings are followed up and taken into account in policy-making, collaborating closely with the Social Audit Unit in the Office of the Prime Minister (SAU OPM).
Internal Foundation contacts
Social Audit Program Coordinator, Director for Policy and Institutional Strengthening, Community Engagement Manager, Senior Program Officer for Survey Implementation, other relevant program staff, and finance and administrative staff in the Foundation’s Timor-Leste office on a regular basis.
Timorese partner civil society organizations, government representatives including from various Ministries and the Office of the Prime Minister, local leaders and community members in municipalities outside of Dili.
Job function and responsibilities
- Closely liaise with NGO Forum Timor-Leste in supporting the implementation of program activities;
- Organize and support meetings and events involving both government, partners and other stakeholders, such as round table discussions, trainings, and presentations;
- Support consultants, resource persons, and other staff contracted to implement program activities in relation to the Social Audit program;
- Revise or assist in preparing budgets, activity plans, activity reports, training programs, scopes of work, terms of reference, and other documents needed to support local partners to implement social audit projects;
- Support the development and publication of communications materials for the program;
- Monitor grantees in the implementation of social audit projects, including budget planning and expenditure;
- Review results reports from social audit projects and provide feedback to grantees;
- Maintain a tracking database of program activities, including M&E of activities, to feed into annual report to the European Union;
- Organize regular coordination and Steering Committee meetings with FONGTIL and government stakeholders such as the Social Audit Unit of the Office of the Prime Minister and PDHJ;
- Perform such other functions as may be necessary to ensure the program’s implementation.
Experience and skills
- Demonstrated work experience and knowledge related to government ministries and agencies, civil society organizations (NGOs and CBOs), and communities in Timor-Leste, in activities such as capacity building programs, M&E, partnership between government and civil society/communities, public service delivery, and research programs (social audit/government accountability experience a plus);
- Demonstrated work experience and knowledge in management or support of a governance project funded by an international donor;
- Experience in facilitating, coordinating, and communicating between organizations and individuals;
- Familiarity with grants management, either as grantee or grantor;
- Excellent verbal and writing communication skills (English and Tetum required, Portuguese a plus), including in report writing;
- Culturally sensitive interpersonal skills, strong organizational abilities, and computer literacy;
- Excellent analytical and presentational skills;
- Demonstrated commitment to Timor-Leste development, and in particular to government transparency and accountability;
- Experience with direct community work, such as community mobilization, a plus.
- A relevant university degree.
The Asia Foundation strongly encourages women to apply. The position is open for Timorese nationals only.
All applications must include a cover letter and updated CV and must address the selection criteria. Please include three contactable referees. Applications must be addressed to Odete Laranjinha Pinto – Human Resources Officer, and delivered by hand to The Asia Foundation’s office at Avenida Luro Mata, Bairro Metin II, Dili, Timor-Leste, OR via email email@example.com before 16 January 2017 at 08.30 AM.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.