Internally & Externally
CARE International in Timor-Leste – CITL
Department / Project : Program Quality
Position : Communication Officer
Grade : D1
Salary : From $546 per month plus benefits
Location of Work : Dili
Position Report To : Senior Communication Officer
Job Description Prepared by : GPQM
Date Job Description Updated : 19 October 2016
Contract period : 12 Months, with the possibility for extension
CARE is an international development and humanitarian aid organization fighting global poverty, with a special focus on working with women and girls to bring lasting change to their communities. As a non-religious and non-political organization, CARE works with communities to help overcome poverty by supporting development efforts and providing emergency assistance. We believe supporting women and girls is one of the most effective ways to create sustainable outcomes in poor communities.
CARE’s long term program will focus on women and girls in rural disadvantage areas with four priority areas: SRM Health and Rights, Women’s Economic Empowerment, Women’s Voice and Education.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The primary role of the Communications Officer is to support communications activities relating to the Lafaek Learning Media project, a New Zealand -supported project which is implemented by CARE. Furthermore, the Communication Officer will support CARE’s efforts to implement its long term program. It is intentioned that investment into a communication strategy for LLM will increase the reach and open new mediums for Lafaek to increase opportunities for new content development and partnerships.
The Communications Officer works closely with the Senior Communications Officer and Lafaek Learning Media (LLM) project team to create and manage new and existing communication platforms. This will include both digital and print material for both internal and external audiences. In addition to the focus on LLM, the Communications Advisor also works to articulate and further CARE in Timor Leste’s wider impacts, by both supporting the development of communications materials, including paper-based and online materials.
- LLM Communications (50%)
- Produce communications materials and documents to articulate LLM project activities, lessons learned, and impacts
- Develop and monitor LLM communications schedules, liaising with staff to ensure documents, impact stories and case studies are produced in a timely manner
- Support roll-out of LLM’s communication plan including development of social media platforms and networks and production of digitized content for online publication.
- Communications: CARE’s Long-Term Program (25%)
- Develop gender sensitive information sharing guidelines (for internal and external communications)
- Support production of human interest stories, news stories, videos, press releases and external-facing brochures or promotional materials on progress towards CARE’s Long-Term Program
- Gender and Program Quality Unit (15%)
- Provide training and support to build capacity of all staff and partners on communications activities and strategies
- Support program and project teams to include gender transformative approaches throughout activity implementation, monitoring, evaluation and learning;
- Provide surge support for Gender and Program Quality Unit work as required
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- University degree with at least 1-3 years subsequent relevant experience; or 3 years experience and expertise in technical or administrative fields; or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training.
- Experience in the creation of print and /or digital communication materials
- Quickly absorbs new information and learns new techniques that extend role capability.
- High level communication skills, both written and verbal (in Tetum and English) including an ability to speak in public and explain complex ideas
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Ability to work in a systematic and organised manner and within deadlines
- Excellent computer skills, including excel, word and email, including website design, management and use of social media
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Flexibility and proven team player
- Willingness to travel to the field and remote areas
- Demonstrated commitment to CARE values (Respect, Excellence, Diversity and Integrity) and teamwork.
The initial contract is for 12 months, full-time, with the possibility of extension. The position will be based in Dili with travel to the project sites. If local travel during the duration of the assignment related to this position’s responsibilities arises, those costs will be covered by CARE.
In return of your commitment you will benefit from ongoing professional development fostered within an innovative and forward thinking environment, plus a comprehensive benefits package.
To apply to this position, please email or submit your application letter and Curriculum Vitae with three references (Please DO NOT attached the other documents) to email@example.com OR to HR Unit, CARE International Timor-Leste, Bairo Pitte, Dili, OR by email before or by date deadline 12th November 2016. Only successful candidates will be contacted for the interview.
|CARE is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
CARE International Timor-Leste is committed to protecting the rights of children in all areas we work. CARE International Timor-Leste reserves the right to conduct screening procedures to ensure a child-safe environment.