ADRA Timor-Leste – Nutrition Officer
Purpose of position
To improve knowledge of proper nutrition, as well as the uptake of staple crops, local vegetables, (and potential nutrition and income indicators) of rural communities in Viqueque district of Timor-Leste by implementing a life-skills program with various groups in Viqueque District under the LOSA project.
Only applicants with nutrition experience will be considered for this position
PLEASE BRING EXAMPLES OF YOUR WORK WITH YOU
12 month contract
Starting no later than 18 August, 2016 and finishing 17 August, 2017.
1. Develop material and implement a life-skills (including nutrition) program in Viqueque District.
2. Conduct ongoing follow up visits in communities after the completion of training events throughout the life of the project.
3. Regularly coordinate with the Development Facilitator and Field Office Coordinator in the development of schedules for trainings considering appropriate times.
4. Use residual time to assist in the setup and development / operations of the learning centre.
5. Conduct the life-skills training at both group level and school level.
6. Represent ADRA Timor-Leste at meetings, and workshops related to the health sector at local, national or international levels or as assigned by the Country Director / Program Manager.
7. Act responsibly in the job assigned and practice good conduct according to the ADRA Timor-Leste Policy Manual or staff handbook.
8. Undertake any other tasks that may be delegated by the ADRA Timor-Leste Program Manager that are in keeping with the scope of the role.
The main topics expected to be taught by the Nutrition Officer may include;
The main topics expected to be taught by the Nutrition Officer may include:
1. Valuing one’s body, family and environment.
2. The importance of good nutrition for improved health and general body function.
3. Knowledge on vitamins, minerals, proteins, carbohydrates, fats, etc and which plants to acquire these.
4. Medicinal herbs and plants, benefits of various plants for sickness.
5. Work to develop and provide cooking demonstrations for various groups
6. Maternal Health Care information / nutrition for young mothers, breast-feeding information.
7. Mental health issues and coping strategies.
8. Communication skills for young persons
9. Simple techniques for improved health (sleep, water, less fatty foods, etc)
10. Techniques such as: charcoal, water therapy and massage for relieved pain symptoms.
11. The consequences that drugs (alcohol, cigarettes) and gambling may have on one’s body, family and the environment.
Additional project activities may also include:
1. Conducting needs assessments and holding regular community meetings
2. Facilitating and managing groups of persons
3. Writing reports and making basic evaluations of project activities
Essential knowledge, skills and abilities
· Experience in training design, delivery and presentation.
· Experience in conducting training and organising community based workshops.
· Good presentation skills and ability to communicate to varied audiences, including those with limited literacy.
· Ability to work well under pressure and to deadlines.
· Ability to prepare and work within budgets for planned training activities.
· Excellent community engagement skills.
· Possess a strong vision for the project goals.
· Demonstrated ability to work as a part of a team, organise work and supervise others.
· Flexibility, adaptability and willingness to take on tasks and learn to apply new health and hygiene methodologies in community settings.
· Computer Fluency (MS Office).
· Uphold the values of ADRA Timor-Leste
· Current car driver’s license an advantage (but not mandatory).
· Be willing to undertake travel as required by the project.
Gender Policy: Women are encouraged to apply for this position.
Child Protection Policy: ADRA Timor-Leste is a child safe organisation and screens applicants for suitability to work with children, the successful applicant will be required to obtain a police check. Police checks must be conducted for each country in which the individual has lived for 12 months or longer over the last five years, and for the individual’s country of citizenship. Individuals need to provide their consent to a criminal record check and should be informed of the purpose for which the resulting police clearance certificate should be used. ADRA Timor-Leste recognises that in limited instances it may prove impossible to obtain a reliable criminal record check. A statutory declaration outlining efforts made to obtain a police check, and disclosing any charges and spent convictions related to child exploitation, may be accepted in lieu.”
Job Location: The position will be based in Uma Tolu, Viqueque District.
Applications for the position are due on 12 August 2016 at 12:00 pm. Candidates fulfilling the criteria may send in their application along with a copy of their Curriculum Vitae and full contact address to the following email addresses:
or deliver to: ADRA Timor Leste,
Rua Manleuana, Dili,
Phone: 7734 3963
Only short listed candidates will be notified and applications will not be returned. Only applicants with nutrition experience will be considered for this position