EXTERNAL & INTERNAL
Title : Local Consultant for Municipal
Program : Community Policing Support Program ( CPSP)
Contract Duration : 3 Month
Work Location : Ermera
Report to :Deputy Program Manager
The Local Consultant shall work with the Community Policing Support Program to ensure that all project activities within the district are implemented in an organized manner and all project outputs are met. The Consultant shall be an individual who is known to and respected by, the District constituency, the district PNTL, the district Administration/Sub Administration and must have significant exposure to the sucos. Preference will be given those based in the District. A university degree and proficiency in English will be distinct advantages. Regular travel to sucos, as well as monthly travel to Dili is to be expected.
The Consultant shall:
- Lead the institutionalization of community policing within the PNTL in the municipality.
- Develop a strategy for transformation of policing approaches and governance structures within the municipality.
- Lead a strategy for the transfer of responsibility of the Municipal Steering Committees and Community Policing Councils in the municipality from The Asia Foundation to PNTL and Municipal and Suco Authorities.
- Continuously update the PNTL and Municipal Administration on activities of Community Policing program activity
- Represent The Asia Foundation at municipal level policing events.
- Provide community policing policy advice to PNTL District Commander, Municipal Administration, and local government and community leaders in the municipality.
- Develop a strategy for prevention of conflict, crime and other security risks, working with all stakeholders in the municipality to take responsibility for relevant prevention actions.
- Conduct monitoring and evaluation of community policing activities in the municipality.
- Develop a strategy to ensure that program learnings will be implemented in the municipality.
- Develop monitoring tools to regularly monitor the quantity and quality of resolution and referral of civil and criminal cases by Community Policing Councils, Suco Councils and Suco Police Officers at the Suco level.
- Develop quarterly and monthly activity strategy plans for activities required in the municipality.
- Work directly with the PNTL District Commander and relevant PNTL officers to develop financial and reporting templates and management of community policing activities as relevant for the program.
- Ensure all project activities within the municipality are implemented in an organized manner and all project outputs are met.
- Assist the program team to introduce the new program phase to the PNTL office, Municipal and Sub Municipal Administration Offices and the Suco Councils.
- Provide technical support to the PNTL and Municipal Administration to lead and hold quarterly Municipal- Level Steering Committee meetings, ensuring the involvement of women, relevant PNTL representatives, Municipal Administration, Suco Chiefs, Community Police Councils representatives, as well as civil society and line ministry representatives.
- Provide technical advice to PNTL to improve PNTL leadership of Community Police Councils (CPCs) and community policing strategies and conflict prevention funds as available in the municipality across the for the full implementation of program activities in the municipality.
- Regularly conduct monitoring and evaluation activities to assess project performance.
- Conduct interviews and Focus Group Discussions with stakeholders on the day, and three months following activity implementation to assess impact.
- Identify implementation problems, and constraints and identify interventions to resolve these. Support program learning uptake at national and municipal level.
- Prepare monthly activity plans and reports based on the monitoring and evaluation plan.
- Prepare financial reports to a high quality, in line with The Asia Foundation regulations.
- Develop linkages and implement learnings from other Asia Foundation programs in the municipality.
- Perform such others functions as may be necessary to ensure project implementation.
- Strategic vision for program implementatoin in the municipality;
- Experience in Monitoring and Evaluation and transfer of program learnings to program partners;
- Demonstrated writing skills and ability to write stories of program impact to publishable quality;
- Experience in Activity and Financial Management of field activities;
- Demonstrated work experience in development work of Timor-Leste;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrate management and organizational ability and computer proficiency in word processing and spreadsheet;
- Work experience with international organization preferred;
- Independent and proactive, while being able to work in team, especially cross culture;
- Ability / skills to develop high quality monthly narrative reports;
- Ability to manage cash advance and Financial reporting for program activities;
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to work under minimum supervision;
- Strong networking and community fieldwork skills, including relations with government;
- Strong Tetun presentation and facilitation skills;
- Verbal and written communication skills in English as advantage
- Be able to Ride a Motorbike.
- Be an individual who is known to and respected by, the Municipal constituency, the PNTL, the municipal Administration/Sub Administration
- Must have significant exposure to the sucos.
- Preference will be given those based in the municipality.
- A university degree and proficiency in English will be distinct advantages.
- Constant travel to sucos is to be expected.
The Asia Foundation strongly encourages women to apply. The position is open for Timorese national only.
All applications must include a cover letter, an updated CV and must address the selection criteria. Please include three contactable referees. They must be addressed to Odete Laranjinha Pinto – HR Officer, and delivered by hand to the Asia Foundation’s office at Av. Luro Mata, Bairo Metin II, Dili, Timor-Leste OR via email email@example.com before or by Monday, 06 June 2016 at 05.00 PM,
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the interview