St. John of God Outreach Services
Hospital Nacional Guido Valadares, Bidau, Dili, Timor Leste
VACANCY: Nursing Project Officer
ELIGIBILITY: Timorese National
REPORTS TO: Nursing Development Program Manager
CONTRACT TYPE: Fixed Term
- PURPOSE OF POSITION
The purpose of the Nursing Project Officer is to:
- Work closely alongside the St John of God Health Care (SJGHC) Nursing Development Program (NDP) specialist nurses/midwives, to facilitate a respectful and sensitive approach to HNGV nurses, midwives, patients and other health care providers, in line with the Timorese cultural norms and expectations.
- Assist with the management and development of SJGHC NDP learning and development programs.
- ABOUT ST JOHN OF GOD HEALTH CARE
St John of God Health Care’s first capacity building program in Timor-Leste (East Timor) was established in 2004 with the goal of developing diagnostic pathology services across the country. In 2010 St John of God Health Care (SJGHC) commenced a Nursing Development Program. Both programs have signed Memoranda of Understanding with the Ministry of Health in Timor-Leste to improve patient outcomes by developing the capacity of nurses and medical scientists working at the Guido Valadares National Hospital in Dili. The SJGHC team is a mix of skilled expatriate and Timorese nurses, medical scientists and support caregivers.
Our nursing and pathology programs have the scope to improve health outcomes on a national level.
- MISSION AND VALUES
Our mission and values are vital to all that we do in Timor-Leste. Our caregivers are expected to adhere to and promote these. This includes the following:
- Capacity to understand and willingness to support and promote the Mission and Values of St John of God Health Care
- Commitment to the organisation’s service ethos through the provision of excellent service
- Caregivers are required to act in accordance with the standards of behaviour outlined in the SJGHC Code of Conduct document.
- KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Workplace health and safety
- Environmental sustainability
- Professional development
- DETAILED DUTIES
- Assist NDP Specialist Midwives and Nurses interact with Timorese midwives, nurses and patients, including through interpretation and translation, supporting the development of solid relationships between NDP caregivers and the HNGV midwives, nurses and other staff.
- Provide guidance and assist in developing and maintaining respectful relationships between the SJGOS team and HNGV midwives, nurses and other staff in these wards.
- Assist in preparation, translation, delivery and interpretation of NDP education packages.
- Assist in interpretation and translation during clinical practice and in the development and delivery of education sessions.
- Give advice and provide information on culturally appropriate processes to NDP nurses/midwives when delivering care.
- Assist in development of education and training packages
- Assist with translation of education and training packages
- Assist with interpretation and delivery of education and training
- Undertake clinical competencies/training as deemed appropriate for SJGHC program caregivers.
- Participate in program meetings
- Contribute to work planning and budgeting, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting processes
- All other reasonable duties as directed by Manager/Supervisor.
- SELECTION CRITERIA
- Timor-Leste registered nurse (or equivalent)
- Current/recent clinical nursing experience
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Tetum. Evidence will be required and/or testing undertaken
- Timor-Leste driver’s license
- Computer skills (MS Office and Emails)
- Current/recent experience developing and/or delivering training and development activities to local midwives or other healthcare workers
- Language skills in Bahasa Indonesia and/or Portuguese
Applicants are invited to submit a CV with covering letter and three references to Entrega Ba. Applications should be submitted via email to email@example.com. The deadline for applications is 31st May 2016
If you would like for further information, please contact Entrega Ba on 78613816 during working hours only (9.00am – 5.00pm Monday to Friday).