USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura Project
Request for Proposal – RFP
Objective: Institutional or individual service to conduct Women’s Economic Empowerment Campaign – First Phase
Duty Station : Dili
Application deadline : 20 January 2016
Languange Required : English
Starting date : 25 January 2016
Expected duration of assignment : 7- 10 weeks from January to April 2016
This campaign is a part of the five year USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura Project. The campaign is aimed at highlighting the lack of empowerment women face relating to economic opportunities in Timor-Leste, and through the project’s objectives aims to assist women in unleashing their economic potential. The goal of this campaign is to develop a comprehensive public relations campaign that will promote messages to encourage women to become entrepreneurs and increase their engagement in economic activities. The campaign should also reach men, young women and community decision makers to portray to them the advantages of increased female economic participation.
The total estimated amount is to between USD 5.000-USD10,000 and the procurement procedure will comprise of 3 quotations, in addition to the rules presented below.
1. Project Background and Rationale:
USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura project is a 5-year horticulture value chain project aimed at addressing the key challenges of rural poverty, natural resources degradation, food insecurity and under-nutrition in Timor-Leste. The project will aim to increase incomes for about 33,000 women and men across 250 communities, improve nutritional practices and increase farmer’s ability to manage their economic assets. A key component of the project is to increase female presence in the agribusiness sector by providing them with skills to develop their own businesses in the horticulture value chain. Our project will provide training to women in skills development however this will only address part of the problem. While over 60% of women are engaged in agriculture in Timor-Leste, and bear the majority of the burden of production, women’s participation in the formal economic sector is considerably lower than men. To change this we need to change attitudes of both men and women concerning their involvement in the workforce and as entrepreneurs.
The purpose of this Request for Applications is to seek an organization to develop and manage the first phase of the USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura Project’s Women’s Economic Empowerment Campaign between January 2016 and March 2016.
3. Scope of Work:
The purpose of this Request for Proposal (RFP ) is to obtain an organization capable of developing and managing the first phase of the USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura Project’s Women’s Economic Empowerment Campaign between January 2016 and March 2016. The selected organization will be required to implement and oversee all activities related to the deliverables listed below, as well as additional activities which may arise as directed by USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura Project Staff during the development and implementation of the first phase of the Women’s Economic Empowerment Campaign.
The first phase of the Women’s Economic Empowerment Campaign will begin February 10, 2016 and continue until March 31, 2015. All work listed in the deliverables (Point 4 ) below must be completed and approved by USAID no later than January 30, 2016. Printed materials will be showcased beginning February 10, 2016. The Drama / Skit will be launched at the opening of the ‘Unleashing Women Economic Potential: Women in Agribusiness Timor-Leste” Conference on February 18, 2016. Following the close of the conference the drama troupe will travel to each of the districts USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura Project works in for 2 performances at locations as decided by the project staff.
It should be noted that these deliverables are not intended to cover all minute details that may occur with the development and implementation of items listed. Applying organizations must be aware of the fluidity of developing a PR Campaign and as such must be able to be flexible in working with USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura Project staff.
Expected delivery result :
· 1 Story line about 3-5 minutes duration for radio broadcasts for twice a weekly programme with local radio is on aired, and from 10 February is 3 times a week
· 1 Story line and dialogue for drama/skit about 10-15 minutes duration broadcasted with local radio for twice a week. During 10 days from 10 till 18 of February 2016.
· 4 poster design with A0 size for 10 copies printed in colour
· 2 flyer design size for A4 and 300 copies
· Women’s brochure
· 10 Successful Women’s Snapshot in A4 size for 1 each for 200 copies printed in colour.
· With USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura Project to develop story lines to ensure agriculture elements are addressed and to ensure cultural appropriateness and suitability
· With USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura Project for submission of all documents, including storylines, to USAID to review and approve
· With USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura Project to arrange Drama/Skit to be showcased in 5 districts with 2 showings in each district (exact location to be confirmed)
· With USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura Project to visit Maloa Demo Plot to secure photography for use by Campaign (note: all photographs will be owned by USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura Project and all photos must be provided to project staff).
· With drama troupe to practice drama/skit
· With Community Radios to broadcoast storyline
· With printing companies to print example items prior to February 4, 2015
· With printing companies to finalize all printing prior to February 9, 2015
It should be noted that USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura Project team will provide USAID’s Branding and Marking Guidelines to the selected organization. All items must be submitted to USAID for approval prior to release to the public via the project staff.
5. Documents for Submission:
The interested applicants are requested to submit a proposal no longer than 3 pages that contains the following information:
· Plan detailing how the organization will achieve deliverables listed, detailing working with other organizations such as dance groups, printing companies, and media outlets.
In addition the following is required (not included in 2 page limit):
· Company profile
· Examples of past work
· Detailed budget
6. Document submission:
Interested organizations must submit all necessary documents for this RFP no later than January 19, 2016 at 5:00 pm in paper format to:
Sebastiana da Costa Pereira
USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura Project Gender and Youth Specialist
Cardno Emerging Markets USA Ltd.Suite 02-09, Building 2, Level 2,
Palm Business and Trade Centre, Hudi Laran, Surik Mas, Fatumeta Bairro-Pite, Dili, Timor-Leste
Tel. : +670-3311296 Cell. : +670-77273275
Or by email to
Mrs. Sebastiana da Costa Pereira – Gender and Youth Specialist
cc: Mr. Natalino Babo Martins – Grant and subcontract Manager
7. Organization Competencies:
The awarding organization will have both national and sub-national experience in public relations campaign management and implementation. Organizations with a strong vision for women’s economic empowerment in the rural areas of Timor-Leste as well as prior engagement with USAID projects are preferred.
Additionally, the awarding organization will have:
· Proven experience in developing and managing successful and cultural appropriate PR Campaigns in Timor-Leste
· Experience in identifying and developing strategic key messages for use in PR Campaigns
· Experience in designing visually impactive printed materials
· Experience in working with other organizations such as community radios and dance troupes
· Knowledge of gender issues effecting women’s economic empowerment in Timor-Leste
· Strong analytical, written and verbal communication skills. Must be a good communicator.
· Excellent multi‐tasking abilities and ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines without supervision.
· Excellent Tetum language skills, and good working ability in English.
8. Scoring Criteria
USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura Project grant manager will select the shortlisted organizations based on the following criteria:
1. Design elements of initial plan and realism of plan
3. Organizational Competencies
USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura project reserves the right not to consider any incomplete offers which does not comply with any or all of our requests as described in this RFP .
9. Payment procedures:
In order to obtain payment, the selected training provider must present the invoice with all documents listed in Article ? to USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura’s office within 30 days after completion of the services. Invoice must detail name of the supplier, reference of the purchase order, date, stamp, and signature. Further information on payment will be addressed in the final memorandum of agreement.
 First drafts must be submitted to USAID by January 18, 2015. Edits to first drafts must be completed within 24/48 hours of receipt of comments from USAID. Documents must be submitted to USAID for final submission by January 25, 2016.