St. John of God Outreach Services
Hospital Nacional Guido Valadares, Bidau, Dili, Timor Leste
POSITION TITLE: Midwifery Project Officer
REPORTS TO: Nursing Development Project Manager
PERFORMANCE AND DEVELOPMENT PLAN:
Conducted during the first 3 months from time of commencement then annually by immediate Supervisor/Manager. This Position Description shall be considered at the time of conducting your Performance and Development Plan.
Eligibility to: Timorese Nationals ONLY
Contract type: Fixed Term
- PURPOSE OF POSITION
The purpose of the Midwifery Project Officer is to:
- Work closely alongside the St John of God Health Care (SJGHC) Nursing Development Program (NDP) specialist nurses/midwives, particularly in the Maternity and Post Natal wards, to facilitate a respectful and sensitive approach to HNGV nurses, patients and other health care providers, in line with the Timorese cultural norms and expectations.
- Assist with the management and development of SJGOS’ learning and development programs related to midwifery.
- ABOUT ST JOHN OF GOD HEALTH CARE
St John of God Health Care’s first capacity building program in Timor-Leste (East Timor) was established in 2004 with the goal of developing diagnostic pathology services across the country. In 2010 St John of God Health Care (SJGHC) commenced a Nursing Development Program. Both programs have signed Memoranda of Understanding with the Ministry of Health in Timor-Leste to improve patient outcomes by developing the capacity of nurses and medical scientists working at the Guido Valadares National Hospital in Dili. The SJGHC team is a mix of skilled expatriate and Timorese nurses, medical scientists and support caregivers.
Our nursing and pathology programs have the scope to improve health outcomes on a national level.
- Mission and Values
Our mission and values are vital to all that we do in Timor-Leste. Our caregivers are expected to adhere to and promote these. This includes the following:
- Capacity to understand and willingness to support and promote the Mission and Values of St John of God Health Care
- Commitment to the organisation’s service ethos through the provision of excellent service
- Caregivers are required to act in accordance with the standards of behaviour outlined in the SJGHC Code of Conduct document.
- KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Workplace health and safety
- Environmental sustainability
- Professional development
- Understand, support and promote the Mission and Values of SJGHC
- Work to further the Mission and Values of St. John of God Health Care, while maintaining cultural sensitivity to the people and practices of Timor-Leste
- Act in accordance with the standards of behaviour outlined in the SJGHC Code of Conduct
- Establish and maintain good relationships with SJGHC and SJGOS colleagues
- Establish and maintain good relationships with service providers and external customers.
- Develop and maintain effective networks and relationships with relevant professional and other groups both within and external to the organisation in order to build proactive and visible partnerships
- Use relevant office computer applications to complete work tasks, eg Word, Excel, Power Point
- Be aware of and work in accordance with SJGHC policies and procedures, including Equal Employment Opportunity, Occupational Health and Safety, Unacceptable Behaviour, Confidentiality and Privacy.
- All other reasonable duties as directed by the Nursing Development Program Manager.
- Participate in and contribute to quality improvement.
- Provide a customer-focused service.
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Adhere to all applicable St John of God Health Care policies and guidelines;
- Take reasonable care of themselves and others;
- Not interfere, bypass or misuse any system or equipment provided for health, safety and welfare purposes;
- Take all actions to avoid, eliminate or minimize hazards, including stopping any hazardous activities that they observe;
- Seek information on any work they undertake and be aware of the risks and hazards associated with their work;
- Report all incidents / hazards / injuries;
- Assist in completion of incidents / hazards / injuries reports;
- Participate in the documentation of Risk Assessments and Standard Operating Procedures for activities that could pose a OHS risk;
- Take part in OHS consultative arrangements as appropriate
- Promote a positive safety culture within their areas by demonstrating a positive commitment to OHS.
- Adhere to policies and legislative requirements for environmental management and demonstrate commitment to environmental sustainability
- Support the achievement of SJGHC’s Environmental goals in performance of all duties.
- Professional Development
- Continually develop skills, acquiring additional knowledge, via internal and external training as agreed with the Nursing Development Program Manager.
- Attend relevant learning and development sessions offered by SJGHC.
- Achieve mandatory annual competencies and assume responsibility for record maintenance.
- DETAILED DUTIES
- Assist NDP Specialist Midwives and Nurses interact with Timorese midwives, nurses and patients, including through interpretation and translation, supporting the development of solid relationships between NDP caregivers and the HNGV midwives, nurses and other staff.
- Provide guidance and assist in developing and maintaining respectful relationships between the SJGOS team and HNGV midwives, nurses and other staff in these wards.
- Assist in preparation, translation, delivery and interpretation of NDP education packages. This will include those within the Maternity and Post-Natal wards and other wards where SJGHC NDP has a presence.
- Assist in interpretation and translation during clinical practice and in the development and delivery of education sessions.
- Give advice and provide information on culturally appropriate processes to NDP nurses/midwives when delivering care.
- Assist in development of education and training packages
- Assist with translation of education and training packages
- Assist with interpretation and delivery of education and training
- Undertake clinical competencies/training as deemed appropriate for SJGHC program caregivers.
- Participate in program meetings
- Contribute to work planning and budgeting, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting processes
- All other reasonable duties as directed by Manager/Supervisor.
- SELECTION CRITERIA
- Timor-Leste registered midwife (or equivalent)
- Current/recent clinical midwifery experience
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Tetum. Evidence will be required and/or testing undertaken
- Timor-Leste driver’s license
- Computer skills (MS Office and Emails)
- Current/recent experience developing and/or delivering training and development activities to local midwives or other healthcare workers
- Language skills in Bahasa Indonesia and/or Portuguese
Closing Date for Applications: Monday November 30th, 2015
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit applications by email to email@example.com with a Subject line of “Nursing Development Program Support Nurse”.
Applications can also be submitted to the office of Entrega Ba in Bidau Manumata.
For important information relating to this position please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office of Entrega Ba on 78613816.
Applications must include:
- A cover letter of interest that addresses the listed Selection Criteria
- A current Curriculum Vitae
- The names and contact details of three referees
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.