Mercy Corps Timor-Leste is recruiting for the following positions:
- Senior Finance Officer, based in Dili.
Mercy Corps is a leading global humanitarian agency with a network of experienced professionals in more than 43 countries. We partner with local communities to put bold ideas into action to help people recover, overcome hardship and build better lives. In Timor-Leste, Mercy Corps is working to ensure a stable supply of food, better nutrition and higher incomes for mainly rural, resource poor households. We work with farmers, the private sector, the Ministry of Agriculture and a range of local and international partners to improve the quality and diversity of food that’s eaten at home and available in markets.
The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance. The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Finance Manager, the Finance Officer will ensure the accuracy and completeness of Mercy Corps accounting records and will have primary responsibility for managing the monthly accounting cycle.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Daily management of the finance officer(s) and the assistant finance officer
- Oversee daily cash count with the assistant finance officer
- Manage the month end accounting close process, ensuring the accuracy and completeness of the ledger, sub-journals and all supporting documentation in all country offices.
- Primary responsibility for maintaining the general ledger software files, including set up and maintenance of new project accounts, regular back-up of files, etc.
- Review sub-journals and upload data to the general ledger
- Prepare revenue recognition entries and other final closing journal entries
- Enter, post and maintain filing of monthly journal entries
- Prepare month end balance sheet account reconciliations
- Coordinate the preparation and ensure the on-time submission of the monthly reporting package to HQ
- Oversee the maintenance of all accounting records, ensuring that records are complete, accurate and safeguarded
- Assist in the training and support of the finance officers in field offices, including answering daily questions, training new hires, making field visits, etc.
- Monitor cash and bank balances and coordinate monthly cash flow requests from sub-offices; prepare consolidated country cash flow requests to HQ
- Process payments for staff and suppliers (wire transfer; check) .
- Assist the Finance Manager in responding to audit inquiries
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission
- Other duties as assigned.
Assistant Finance Officer; Finance Officer
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Finance Manager
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Four or more years of general ledger accounting experience is required.
- A university degree in accounting is required.
- Two years’ experience in the Finance Department of an international NGO or agency is preferred.
- Demonstrated competency with computerized general ledger software
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
- Prior management experience and strong organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written English skills
The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary. A high professional standard of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential. The Senior Finance Officer must be willing to travel to Mercy Corps field offices and project sites.
Interested applicant can send CV and Cover Letter no later than September 28 2015 to email firstname.lastname@example.org or send it directly to Mercy Corps office at Rua de Travesa (next to NCBA/CCT Clinic), Bidau – Lecidere, Dili