Internally & Externally
CARE International in Timor-Leste – CITL
Job Title Gender Advisor
Salary From US$1,109 per month plus benefit
Reports to Program Quality Unit Manager
Works with Program Quality Unit, Gender Focal Points, CARE Australia Gender Advisor and Senior Program Quality Advisor
Location Based in Dili, with frequent travel to field locations
Contract duration 6 months with possibility of multi-year extension
About the Role:
In 2013 CARE International in Timor-Leste developed a Gender and Women’s Empowerment Strategy (2015 – 2018) which outline’s CARE’s goal to become an organisation that actively and effectively promotes gender equality and women’s empowerment with women, men, boys and girls in Timor-Leste, with our partners and within our organisation. In 2015 CARE finalised the Long Term Programme which aims to improve the voice and wellbeing of women and girls in rural disadvantages areas with specific priority areas including women’s voice, women’s economic empowerment, sexual reproductive and maternal health and education. Gender equality and women’s empowerment is therefore the core of CITL’s work.
The Gender Advisor is responsible for supporting the CARE International in Timor-Leste Country Office to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment throughout our project and program work, within our organisation and with our partners. CARE International in Timor-Leste’s Gender and Women’s Empowerment Strategy (2015 – 2018) provides the guiding framework for this work and directly informs the Gender Coordinator’s work-plan.
Specific roles and responsibilities of the Gender Coordinator are:
- Coordinate the implementation of CARE International in Timor-Leste’s Gender and Women’s Empowerment Strategy, including six-monthly reporting to the Senior Management Team and quarterly updates to the Programme Management Team;
- Support program and project teams to include gender transformative approaches throughout activity implementation, monitoring, evaluation and learning;
- Provide coaching and training support on women’s empowerment and gender to CARE staff, partner staff and project beneficiaries;
- Coordinate CARE’s Gender Working Group and Gender Focal Points;
- Actively contribute to relevant information and advocacy networks and forums, in Timor-Leste and internationally as required;
- Maintain an awareness of CARE work on gender internationally and in the region;
- Support the development and implementation of gender sensitive organisational systems and policies.
- Support the Program Quality Team and Program Quality Manager in relevant activities as required.
- Safety and Security: Promote a safe and secure work environment; foster a culture of safety and security awareness; and ensure consistent application of, and compliance with, CARE Timor-Leste safety and security policies and procedures.”
Knowledge & Experience Required.
- Minimum University diploma with relevant education background
- Technical knowledge about gender issues in Timor-Leste and a commitment to gender equality and women’s empowerment
- Experience in applying gender tools to project and program management (eg gender analysis, gender mainstreaming and specific tools)
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Good training and facilitation skills
- High level communication skills, both written and verbal (in Tetum and English) including an ability to speak in public and explain complex ideas
Skills & Personal attributes
- Ability to work in a systematic and organised manner and within deadlines
- Excellent computer skills, including excel, word and email
- Flexibility and proven team player
- Willingness to travel to the field and remote areas on a frequent basis
- Demonstrated commitment to CARE values (Respect, Excellence, Diversity and Integrity) and teamwork.
HOW TO APPLY
For those who are interested for this position, please submit the signed application letter with maximum 500 words and Curriculum Vitae with two references (Please DO NOT attached the other documents) to HR Unit, CARE International Timor-Leste, Bairro Pite Dili, OR by email Teresa.Barros@careint.org The closing date for applications is 11 August 2015 at 5PM. Only the short listed applicant will be contacted for the interview.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer. Women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
“CARE International Timor-Leste is committed to protecting the rights of children in all areas we work. Applicants are advised that CARE International Timor-Leste reserves the right to conduct police checks and other screening procedures to ensure a child-safe environment”