Conservation International, Timor Leste Program
Position Title: Marine Program Manager
The Marine Program Manager will oversee the marine components of the CI Timor-Leste programs. They will manage a diverse set of activities and work to ensure that program outcomes and goals further CI’s human development and conservation priorities.
The Marine Program Manager will works across CI to build strong relationships to advance program initiatives. S/he will represent CI and work to build alliances with community, government, and external stakeholders who are critical to program success.
The Marine Program Manager will support the program’s financial well-being by playing a role in identifying program funding sources and developing and managing funding relationships with partners and prospects. S/he will work with program and HQ staff on proposals and funding initiatives.
The position will report to the Country Director, Timor-Leste and will manage program and project staff, interdisciplinary teams, and/or outside partners and works under general direction.
The Key Responsibilities for this position are:
· Facilitate necessary activities to reach the objective of establishing a functional management system for the Protected Area Network (including management plans, management committees, application of legislation, advocate policy to support the management of the PA network, and designation of PA zoning system, and selection criteria) and their official integration into current government planning
- Provide technical assistance and facilitate the development of local capacity (through training on species identification, monitoring techniques, data collection, and analysis) to provide key marine species data inputs that will feed into local and national management planning.
- Provide technical assistance on eco-system based management through the collection, analysis and understanding of data and its uses in management planning for sustainable production, extraction, and conservation.
- Socialize a Marine Protected Area network concept and the benefit of sustainably managed fisheries, and non-extractive economic benefits of MPAs to all stakeholders in Timor-Leste. In cooperation with our main conservation partners and stakeholders identify site options for the establishment of an MPA network including the use of multi-use zoning to allow long term sustainable management under a Seascape.
- Prepare regular reports on the progress of proposed MPA establishment and implementation, and also necessary communication/outreach products that amplifies the Bali MPA network program’s objectives.
Required skills and capabilities:
· Bachelor’s Degree and at least 6 years or more related work experience.
· Program or project management experience, preferably in the conservation, NGO, or NRM arena.
· Strong technical and analytical skills, particularly in data analysis.
· Strong organization and time management skills.
· Strong understanding of government structure and processes.
· Up to 4 years experience supervising others including multi-disciplinary teams.
· Team player and able to work effectively with diverse works groups in a multicultural environment.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Success in influencing and partnering with key stakeholders and raise funds.
· Proven ability to multitask and meet priorities.
· Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and under minimal supervision.
· Fluency in English and Tetum required.
· Experience working on Protected Area programs
· Experience working with Municipal and national level government agencies in Timor-Leste
· Fluency in Fataluku
Supervisory Responsibilities / Authority Allocated
· Directly supervise program and project staff, which may include overseeing the work of external partners.
· Develops and tracks the program’s budget.
· Ensures compliance with donor requirements and CI policies
· This position is based in Dili
· Travel up to 40% may be required to meet program requirements and support stakeholders
· Ability to work in remote locations or under difficult working conditions.
· Passionate with field works
· Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet deadlines.
· Ability to work an irregular schedule including weekends, travel extensively and on short notice.
To apply for this position, email CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com
Applications Deadline: 13th August 2015
(Only short listed applicants will be notified)