I. Job Title : Database & IT Assistant
II. Job Reference : RDTL-MPIE-MPS-2015-006
III. Terms of Reference : Attached
IV. Application procedure
Applications need to be addressed to the MPS Office at Hudi Laran, Fatuhada, Timor-Leste, or to email address, firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than 17:00 hours Timor-Leste time on Monday, the 18th day of May, 2015.
Applications should include (a) a covering letter (b) a detailed resume of no more than 7 pages.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Term of Reference
Position : Database & IT Assistant
Reference : RDTL-MPIE-MPS-2015-006
Reporting to : Database Specialist & Coordinator of MPS
Classification : Technical Contract
Duration : One Year with a 3 Months Probation Period (with possibility of extension based on performance assessment and the need)
Division : Database & IT Unit, Major Project Secretariat, Ministry of Planning and Strategic Investment
The Government of Timor-Leste has established an Infrastructure Fund since 2011 to finance major projects identified by the Line Ministries responsible for their planning, implementation and management. The Major Project Secretariat (MPS), under the guidance of the Ministry of Finance (MoF) and Council of Administration of the Infrastructure Fund (CAFI), to which the Major Projects Secretariat provides technical and management support services. To provide these services, the Major Projects Secretariat consists of the following main units: IF Management Unit, Payment Unit, Planning/Project Appraisal Unit, Loans Unit, Public Private Partnership Unit (PPP) and Database / Reporting Unit.
Further to restructure of V Government Constitutional in February 2015, the MPS has shifted to the Ministry of Planning and Strategic Investment while Public Private Partnership (PPP) and Loan Unit remain with the Ministry of Finance. Hence, the main duties of MPS still in the area IF Management Unit, Appraisal & Budgeting Unit, and Database & IT Unit.
Database & IT Assistant will assist Database & IT Specialist on handling database & IT tasks at MPS office.
III. SCOPE OF WORK
The Database & IT Assistant shall undertake the following tasks:
- Undertake a comparative review of available off-the-shelf software packages or suites of packages that could form the basis for the database and prepare a report describing each in terms of capability, ease of use, maintainability, together with a recommendation to MPS on the most appropriate for use in MPS.
- Review the tasks undertaken by all Units of MPS and determine the data, and data sources, each requires to undertake them efficiently and comprehensively;
- Maintain, troubleshoot and backing-up MPS existents databases;
- Prepare manuals of procedures for data input, system maintenance, system security, trouble shooting and backing-up;
- Prepare user manual on data retrieval and train designated MPS staff in the procedures contained therein;
- Prepare specifications for desktop computers, printers, scanners, LAN system etc. to optimize compatibility with the required capacity, operation and usage of the database;
- Support the office’s IT needs of MPS organizational computer application with specific requirements;
- Ensure the confidentiality, integrity and availability of LAN and data security, including user access to computer facilities. Monitor and support Inter-/Intra-net functionality, security and integrity.
- Installations, configurations and maintenance of LAN, Servers, desktops, printers and others IT peripherals;
- Perform other related duties as required.
IV. KEY DELIVERABLES
- A user-friendly comprehensive database system comprising hardware, software and, LAN which meets the needs of MPS administration, accounting, IF payments monitoring, pre-implementation and post-implementation project appraisal and project preparation, and progress monitoring of IF projects
- Packages of new software that appropriate for use in MPS;
- Manuals and procedures for database management, maintenance and database user;
- Contributions to IF Progress Reports and other reports as may be requested by the Director of MPS.
V. SELECTION CRITERIA
- First degree in Computer Science, Informatics, Information System or a related disciplines;
- Experience in apache server & IIS Server configuration;
- Experience in Data Analysis with SQL;
- Competence in MySql & MS SQL Server Database Management System (DBMS);
- Experience on LAN’s installation and Configuration;
- Experience in Microsoft Outlook configuration;
- Others relevant professional experiences of minimum 3 years in performing the above or similar tasks;
- Excellent English language skills both speaking and writing;
- Readiness to work with other international/national staff within a multi-cultural environment.
- Master degree in Computer Science or Informatics;
- Experience and Software Development;
- Competence in Reporting System with Microsoft Crystal Reports;
- Experience in ASP.NET with C# programming language;
- Knowledge of PHP programming Language;
- Experience on installation and configuration of Windows Server 2008 or higher;
- Ability to speak and write Portuguese language will be expected;
- Have previous experiences on software development will be an asset.
VI. PERFORMANCE EVALUATION
The performance of the Database & IT Assistant will be assessed by the Director of Major Project Secretariat, using the Performance Appraisal System put in place and carried out by the Ministry of Planning and Strategic Investment.
There will be a probation period of three months.