BA DISTRITO PROJECT
TITLE: Junior Legal Officer LOCATION: Dili, East Timor with travel to the districts
PRACTICE AREA: Law and Justice REPORTS TO: Legal Aid Specialist
DATE DUE: April 8, 2015 START DATE: May 1, 2015
CONTRACT DURATION: 12 months, renewable dependent on funding
USAID’s Ba Distrito project is seeking a newly graduated, bright and energetic Junior Legal Officer to support access to justice activities at the national and sub-national level. Ba Distrito is a 4 year program being implemented by Counterpart International and Tetra Tech DPK. The program aims to increase institutional and human capacity at local levels to deliver basic services effectively and in a manner that is responsive to citizen needs and expectations. The program gives focus to delivery of justice sector services at the local level and provides grants to legal aid organizations as well as legal NGOs to implement access to justice activities. With the support and under the direct supervision of the Legal Aid Specialist, the Junior Legal Officer will support implementation of Ba Distrito’s access to justice components.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Support national implementing partners providing legal aid services, legal information, court monitoring, and other access to justice activities.
· Support the development and implementation of advocacy strategies specifically focused on strengthening the legal aid framework.
· Support the organization and coordination of capacity development and training needs of justice actors.
· Conduct legal research, writing and legislative drafting and commentary as required.
· Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- One year of relevant experience is an advantage, but not a requirement.
- A degree in law with good understanding of Timor-Leste’s legal and justice system required. Recent LTC graduate preferred.
- Demonstrated interest in access to justice issues.
- Ability to learn quickly on the job and deliver quality results.
- Willingness to travel to Baucau, Covalima, Ermera, Liquica and Oecusse where justice activities are being implemented.
- Ability to write and speak in Tetun in accordance with the national orthography essential, and Portuguese language skills a plus.
- Basic speaking, reading and writing in English is an advantage, but not a requirement.
Please submit a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing the job title in the subject line.
Counterpart International is a global development organization that empowers people and communities to implement innovative and enduring solutions to social, economic, and environmental challenges. For nearly 50 years, Counterpart has been forging partnerships with communities in need to address complex problems related to economic development, food security and nutrition, and building effective governance and institutions.
For more information visit www.Counterpart.org
Tetra Tech DPK (Tt DPK) provides technical, management, and advisory services to help developing and transitioning societies navigate the challenges they face. We work around the world to help establish and strengthen productive relationships between state and society and develop sustainable government and justice systems that are responsive, transparent, accountable, fair, and efficient. Tt DPK has emerged as a leader and an innovator in providing consulting services that support the furtherance of good governance and strengthened rule of law. Our goal is to provide public institutions and civil society with the skills, knowledge, and tools they need to undertake and sustain programs related to their long-term development and reform goals.
For more information visit www.tetratechdpk.com