REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Democratic Republic of East Timor
Second Chance Education Project
Grant Nos: P116520
Expressions of Interest
The Democratic Republic of East Timor has received financing administered by the World Bank towards the cost of the Second Chance Education Project (SCEP), and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consultant services regarding: National Legal Adviser for Recurrent Education.
Responsibilities of the consultant will be:
A. Establishment of Recurrent Legal Framework Task Force :
- Together with the Recurrent Education specialist and the Curriculum Development Specialist (as needed) to develop, review and finalize theTerms of Reference for the Recurrent Education Legal Framework Task Force (the Task Force) that includes key DNER staff/officials, representatives of the National Directorate of Curriculum and the National Directorate of Encino Basico; and in consultation with DNER management to prepare a letter of assignment for the Task Force.
- Provide legal support to the Task Force throughout the whole period of revision, presentation and finalization of the proposed Legal Framework.
- Review the existing draft Recurrent Education Legal Framework and prepare situational analysis identifying among other issues weaknesses and gaps in the existing Recurrent Education Legal Framework, comparative analysis of Recurrent Education Legal Frameworks in other countries, best practices, and recommendations to strengthen the Recurrent Education Legal Framework in Timor-Leste, including laws, regulations and other legal acts to be amended or developed to establish and implement the Recurrent Education Legal Framework;
- Coordinate development of the Recurrent Education Legal Framework with the Ministry of Education Legal Office.
B. Re-drafting of the Recurrent Education Legal Framework
- Together with the Recurrent Education Specialist review and consolidate inputs presented by task force regarding the following:
- Key findings of the “Need, demand and supply of Recurrent Education Study” relevant to the Recurrent Education Legal Framework;
- Drafts regulations/policies;
- Lessons learned from the current practices of the RecurrentEducation in Timor-Leste and other countries.
- Key findings/lessons learned from the trial of curriculum of Equivalency Program Level II
- Revise the draft Recurrent Education Legal Framework and incorporate inputs as specified in point 5 above;
- In collaboration with the Recurrent Education Specialist, develop different sets of presentations that targets different level of audience. The presentations should be in plain language to allow the audience without legal background to easily understand the information to be presented;
- In collaboration with the Recurrent Education Specialist, present the revised draft Recurrent Education Legal Framework to the DNER and the Task Force for their feedback.
- Present the draft Recurrent Education Legal Framework to the MoE management (Minister,Vice Minister and DG of Pre-School and Basic Education and DG of Secondary and Vocational Education) and other relevant officials;
- Analyse and summarize the comments and recommendations provided by the MoE management, the DNER and other officials and finalize the Recurrent Education Legal Framework accordingly, before submitting formally to the Council of Ministers for approval.
- Provide further support to MoE during the process of review by the Council of Ministers, include providing timely responses to comments and incorporate them into the final document for endorsement.
C. Identify and develop relevant regulations to support implementation by the DNER of the endorsed Recurrent Education Legal Framework.
12. Assists and facilitates the Task Force with the following :
- identify and develop relevant rules and regulations required to implement the endorsed Recurrent Education Legal Framework;
- regularly discuss the draft rules and regulation with DNER during the development stages;
- present the drafted rules and regulations to the DNER, MoE management and relevant staff before adoption;
- assist with drafting regulations, rules and other legal documents as required to support implementation of equivalency programs for Levels I and II and establishment of Community Learning Centers;
- advise and provide legal opinion to the DNER on the documents prepared to support Recurrent Education operations to ensure that they comply with the national regulations and the MoE Legal Framework.
- Assists the Recurrent Education Specialist in developpinga Policy note assessing status of the recurrent education teachers in consultation with the National Directorate for Human Resources of the Ministry of Education.
- Situational analysis with focuses on laws, regulations and other legal acts to support the establishment and implementation of the Recurrent Education Legal Framework – within 10 months from the Contract Commencement Date;
- Legaladvice and opinion to Recurrent Education task force in identifying and reviewing relevant laws and regulations to be incorporated in the draft Recurrent Education Legal Framework.
- Presentation of the revised draft Recurrent Education Legal Frameworkto the Ministry of Education management (Minister, Vice Minister and DG of Pre-School and Basic Education and DG of Secondary and Vocational Education);
- Presentation of the revised draft Recurrent Education Legal Frameworkto the DNER and the Task Force;
- the Recurrent Education Legal Framework submitted to the MoE for subsequent approval by the Council of Ministers – by 7 September 2015;
- regulations, rules and other legal documents as required to support implementation of the Recurrent Education Legal Framework – within the contract period;
- regulations, rules and other legal documents as required to support implementation of equivalency programs for Levels I and II and establishment of Community Learning Centers – within the contract period;
- A final report provided with recommendation on implementation of the approved legal framework for DNER to further consider.
The assignment is planned for 10 person-months and expected to start ASAP.
The Ministry of Education of the Democratic Republic of East Timor now invites eligible individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing the services for this position. Firms are not invited to propose individual consultants. Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (CV, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills, etc.).
Qualification requirements are:
- Law degree and relevant professional status;
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in the Legal Continental System;
- Experience in drafting laws and other legal documents;
- Relevant experience as a legal consultant preferably in public sector. Relevant working experience in education sector is highly desirable;
- Good knowledge and experience in the Public Administration System of Timor Leste;
- Experience in advising senior management and political decision makers;
- Fluency in written and spoken Tetum and Portuguese legal terminology; knowledge of English is an advantage.
- This position is open for Timorese Nationals only.
The successful candidate shall be offered a standard remuneration package according to rates for this level of specialization.
Interested eligible consultants may obtain further information and a copy of the Terms of Reference from the Second Chance Education Project at the address given below or visit Ministry’s website at: https://www.moe.gov.tl/
The email subject heading must be: National Legal Adviser for Recurrent Education.
A consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits and Grants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011).
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours 09:00 to 17:00 hours of local time.
The Expression of Interest together with your latest curriculum vitae must be delivered to the email address given below by 11th February 2015.
Attn: Mr. Danino da Cunha
National Director of Procurement
Ministry of Education
Democratic Republic of East Timor
Vila Verde, Dili
Tel: +670 3311035