BA DISTRITO PROJECT
TITLE: Translator and Interpreter (national position)
LOCATION: Dili, with travel to the districts
REPORTS TO: Finance and Operations Manager or her designate
DATE DUE: March 27, 2015 but will close earlier if a suitable candidate is identified
START DATE: April 2015. 12 month contract, renewable dependent on funding
Counterpart International is implementing the four-year United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded Ba Distrito project until September 2017. The goal of the project is to improve local government’s ability to address community needs and increase its capacity to deliver services more effectively, efficiently and sustainably. The Ba Distrito project is partnering with the Government of Timor-Leste in support of its efforts to improve services at the local level by strengthening the ability of institutions such as suco councils and justice sector agencies to engage with and represent the interests of citizens at the grassroots level. The goals of the Ba Distrito program are to 1) build the capacity of suco councils to strengthen citizen participation and representation in local governance; 2) improve communication and linkages between suco councils, administrative posts and municipal administrations; local GOTL line ministries and other providers of basic public services at the sub-national level; and 3) improve the delivery of justice sector services by strengthening legal aid services and improving district court functionality.
The Translator and Interpreter will report to the Finance and Operations Manager or her designate and will support all translation and interpretation needs of the project including (1) translating formal reports on governance, decentralization and access to justice; training materials; press releases and other communication; and (2) providing interpretation for national and district level events, formal training for judges, lawyers and judicial actors, formal trainings for NGO implementing partners and in meetings, etc. The successful candidate will be tasked with prioritizing and delivering all of the translation and interpretation needs for the project. S/he will also be expected to provide support to the successful implementation of project activities, as required and as time permits.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Provide quality, consistent and accurate translation of project documents and materials from English into Tetum using the national orthography and from Tetum into English.
· Provide quality interpretation between English and Tetum during meetings, trainings, assessments, etc.
· Effectively prioritize translation and interpretation requests in coordination with program managers and under the supervision of the Finance and Operations Manager or her designate.
· Provide other support to the successful implementation of project activities, as required and as time permits.
· Other duties as assigned.
· A university degree in a relevant field preferred.
· 3-5 years of experience working as a translator and/or interpreter for English and Tetum.
· Fluency in written and spoken Tetum in conformance with the national orthography of Timor-Leste.
· Excellent written and spoken English skills.
· Experience working with governance, and rule of law programs and knowledge of legal terms, and technical governance terms desirable.
· Excellent communication, problem-solving, teamwork and organizational skills.
· Solid computer skills in MS Word, Excel and other software.
· Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member and to effectively prioritize tasks.
· Willingness to contribute to other areas of the project’s work, as required and as time permits.
Individuals interested in working with Counterpart International on this project should email CV, cover letter and salary expectation to Timor-Leste.email@example.com. Please indicate the position title in the subject line of the email.
“Counterpart International is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans and the physically challenged are encouraged to apply.”
Please submit a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing the job title (Translator Interpreter) in the subject line.
Counterpart International is a global development organization that empowers people and communities to implement innovative and enduring solutions to social, economic, and environmental challenges. For nearly 50 years, Counterpart has been forging partnerships with communities in need to address complex problems related to economic development, food security and nutrition, and building effective governance and institutions. For more information visit www.Counterpart.org