Ref: MS/NHSSP-SP/015/ Dili, February 13, 2015
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
FINANCIAL CONTROLLER – NATIONAL
|Country:||Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste|
|Name of Project:||National Health Sector Strategic Plan – Support Project (NHSSP-SP)|
|Source of Funding:||Multi-Donor Trust Fund (MDTF)|
|Position:||Financial Controller – National|
|Procurement Plan No.:||NHSSP-SP / IC.4-1.1-116|
|Issue Date:||Friday, February 13, 2015|
|Closing Date:||Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 17:00 hrs, Timor-Leste local time|
- Background / Objectives of Consultancy
The Ministry of Health (MoH) in Timor-Leste is in early stages of developing a sector wide approach to the health sector to support the implementation of its new National Health Sector Strategic Plan (NHSSP) 2011-2030. A broad range of multilateral, bilateral and other non-state actors (both not-for-profits, and for-profits) are contributing to health sector development in the country. Through the NHSSP-Support Project (NHSSP-SP), which is funded under a multi-donor trust fund (MDTF) with contributions from the Australian Government Agency for International Development (AusAID), the European Union (EU), and the World Bank, the MoH seeks to recruit Financial Controller (National) to support the MoH/NDFMP to improve public financial management within the national health system to enable effective support of health service delivery.
The objective of the consultancy is to improve financial management of the ministry and/or health decentralized institutions/agencies under the ministry. This will involve coordination with the Financial Controller (International) for the consolidation and integration of financial management systems at all levels in order to provide a single set of data for planning, budgeting, execution and reporting that will align with the Government’s systems.
The Financial Controller-National (FCN) will support the Financial Controller-International (FCI) in the discharge of the responsibility for financial and management accounts, financial planning, costs and budgets, financial analysis, and reporting. He/she would ensure that all financial transactions at Head Office and District Offices of the MOH are accounted for and related information is available to support senior management decision making.
- Scope of Work
The summary of the Financial Controller’s Scope of Work is the following:
- General Requirements:
- To abide by the policies and procedures of the MoH and the funding organizations and the orientation of the FCI.
- Specific Requirements:
- Finance Office Organization, Administration and Administrative Procedures
- Support the FCI to review, redefine, implement and administer the revised administrative structure and operating procedures of the NDFMP and MOH central or decentralized entities (districts health services and public hospitals).
- Planning and Budgeting
- Assist the FCI, or the decentralized MOH entities (district health services and public hospitals) to develop and implement planning and budgeting procedures including:
- Monitor contractual agreements per individual programme, time-frame, budgetary obligations and circulate this information to senior management on a regular basis;
- Review funding requests prepared by district, health institution and agency finance officers and make sure to arrange for appropriate approvals and transfer funds in a timely manner to the respective district/institution/agency;
- Travel to or be based in the districts or public hospitals to support the preparation of plans and budgets for submission to central MOH.
- Accounting and Control Systems and Procedures
- Work with the FCI to support the adoption and implementation of international accounting standards and relevant policies and procedures to guide the conduct of accounting operations of the NDFMP, or the decentralized MOH entities;
- Conduct regular check for using advance payment and petty cash including external funding at community health center, district health service office and public hospitals;
- Conduct regular check to the district, public hospital and other health institution expenditure of related to the fuel, vehicle maintenance and office stationary.
- Financial Reporting
- Elaborate internal control reporting on quarterly basis;
- Work with the FCI and NDFMP to support the preparation of necessary financial statements for reporting;
- Travel to or be based in the districts or public hospitals to support the preparation of financial statements for reporting to central MOH.
- Specific Requirements:
- Experience and Qualifications / Selection Criteria
It is expected that the consultant will have the following qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree (master’s degree would be an added advantage) in Accounting, Finance, Financial Management, or Business Administration;
- Willingness to learn on the job and accept direction from an International Financial Controller.
- Minimum of two (2) years of post-qualification experience in the accounting / financial management sector; preferably within the Health Sector/Industry.
- High level of interpersonal, relationship and communication skills;
- Excellent writing and reporting skills;
- High level of proficiency in using accounting system software and MS Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.); and
- Strong written and spoken communications skills in Tetum and/or Portuguese and good communication skills in English.
- Selection Method
Consultants will be selected through the competitive selection process following the Individual Consultant Selection method as defined by the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers; dated January 2011.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the Consultant Guidelines, setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
- Duration of the Consultancy and Type of Contract
The duration of the consultancy will be until June 15, 2015 subject to satisfactory performance.
As the scope and the duration of the services and the required outputs of the consultants are clearly defined in the Terms of Reference the time-based contract shall be used for this assignment.
- Terms of Reference
More details on the Services are provided in the Terms of Reference which may be provided on request to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Expression of Interest Submission Procedure
Expression of Interest should include a statement addressing the selection criteria, a copy of the curriculum vitae with a list of three (3) referees, and supporting documentation that will indicate consultant’s qualifications to perform the given service (i.e. description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills with relevant qualifications, letters of reference from previous employers, etc.).
These have to be forwarded to the NHSSP-SP Procurement Specialist at email address email@example.com, not later than Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 17:00 hrs, Timor-Leste local time.
All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
National Director of Finance Management and Procurement