Democratic Republic of East Timor
Second Chance Education Project
Grant Nos: P116520
Expressions of Interest
The Democratic Republic of East Timor has received financing administered by the World Bank towards the cost of the Second Chance Education Project (SCEP), and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consultant services regarding: MIS/IT National Consultant.
A key function of the consultant will be:
- Establish a database system for the recurrent education programs that serves management, effective record keeping for programs delivery and monitoring.
- Assist in the integration of data from the equivalency programs and other relevant programs into the EMIS.
- Establish the necessary IT infrastructure to support and improve the current operational processes of the recurrent education programs.
- Develop key documentation and guidance for the NDRE for management, control, and maintenance of the systems established in coordination with the IT Department within the MOE.
- Provide support to the NDRE staff to ensure the smooth operations of the existing Directorate systems and applications;
- Administer network workstations, networking protocols and/or one or more Microsoft Windows-based or Linux based operating systems;
- Work closely with the national staff to identify and address networking problems that affects the operations of applications software, systems interfaces and users ;
- Perform database administration and such other supporting tasks, both administrative and technical in nature, to enhance the operations of the MIS systems, as will be required by the Directorate.
- Evaluate and/or recommend purchases of computers, network hardware, peripheral equipment, and software
- Investigate user problems, identify their source, determine possible solutions, test and implement solutions.
- Work with DNER in identifying necessary equipment that will provide better services to DNER management and staff such as establishment of file server, print server and data base server to link with EMIS.
- Provide a daily and monthly maintenance to all equipments that provide services to the DNER staff such as file server, print server and authentication server.
- Plan and implement network security, including building firewalls, applying cryptography to network applications, managing host security, file permissions, backup and disaster recovery plans, file system integrity, and adding and deleting users.
- Develop and implement a capacity plan and training for system users on operating systems, relational databases, and other applications; assist users in maximizing use of networks and computing systems.
- Assist the NDRE Director and Staff in all IT related matters.
- Provide on-job training to the NDRE staff in all MIS/IT related matters including basic maintenance to data base and equipment.
- Anticipate communication and networking problems and implement preventive measures.
- Ensure timely user notification of maintenance requirements and effects on system availability.
- To have a daily and monthly maintenance of all the servers providing services to the DNER staff. Like file server, print server and authentication server;
- Maintain confidentiality with regard to the information being processed, stored or accessed by the network.
- Document network problems and resolutions for future reference.
- Coordination with other key National and International Advisors.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A database system for the recurrent education programs established, maintained and secured.
- Data from the equivalency program and other relevant recurrent education programs integrated in EMIS.
- Emails accounts created and functioning for all the NDRE, as part of the communication system within the MOE.
- Documentation (manuals, guidelines, procedures, etc) for the database system development and maintenance developed and approved.
- Database maintenance plan, including backup management, developed.
- A shared networking to enable on line printing and files established and functioning for DNER Management and staff.
- Other reports and outputs upon request.
The assignment is planned for 11 person-months.
The Ministry of Education of the Democratic Republic of East Timor now invites eligible individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing the services for this position. Firms are not invited to propose individual consultants. Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (CV, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills, etc.).
Qualification requirements are:
- A University degree in computer Science, Information Systems Technology and other related fields. Post-graduate degree on Information Technology will be desirable.
- Experience in design and development of the IT system for a company, government department or international development agency, including experience in managing staff.
- Having good working experience in development of data base system. Must be having the ability to maintain SQL Server databases and writing T-SQL scripts for data extraction.
- Able to install and configure SQL Server 2005/2008.
- Familiarity with web server and how to host a web application on it.
- Should understand at least one Microsoft .Net programming language
- Certification in database management and security in at least one of the major database types (Oracle, SQL etc) and web based designs.
- At least two (2) years experience in programming, analysis and system designing, implementation and analysis.
- Should be familiar with Object-Oriented Concepts and have used them in code
- Understand the concepts of the net framework like the Type System, Managed Execution etc
- Should know the concepts of client-side and server-side
- Ability to write scripts on the client side page
- Should be familiar working on net
- Ability to mentor and train.
- Ability to communicate well in English language.
The successful candidate shall be offered a standard remuneration package according to rates for this level of specialization.
Interested eligible consultants may obtain further information and a copy of the Terms of Reference from the Management Strengthening Project at the address given below or visit Ministry’s website at: https://www.moe.gov.tl/
The email subject heading must be: MIS/IT National Consultant.
A consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits and Grants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011).
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours 09:00 to 17:00 hours of local time.
The Expression of Interest together with your latest curriculum vitae must be delivered to the email address given below by 16th January 2015.
Attn: Mr. Danino da Cunha
National Director of Procurement
Ministry of Education
Democratic Republic of East Timor
Vila Verde, Dili
Tel: +670 3311035