PNDS Support Program – Engineer Technical Support Officer
Job Reference Number
Position no. PC32
Locally Engaged Staff
Australasia; Timor-Leste; Dili
Cardno Emerging Markets is seeking energetic and enthusiastic candidates to work as part of a team of highly skilled as part of the PNDS Support Program.
The Programa Nasional Dezenvolvimentu Suku (PNDS), or National Program for Village Development, is a major, nation-wide community development program of the Government of Timor-Leste (GoTL). Launched in June 2012 and valued at US$300 million over eight years, it will contribute to rural development by funding the ‘missing link’ to services – basic village infrastructure – and provide jobs and training.
The Government is providing each village with an annual grant of around US$50,000 to plan, construct and manage their own small scale infrastructure projects.
An Inter-Ministerial Committee and Technical Working Group, representing key ministries (Finance, State Administration, Health, Education, Agriculture, Public Works and the National Development Agency), have been established to oversee the implementation of PNDS. A PNDS Secretariat within the Ministry of State Administration supports these bodies and is responsible for the implementation of PNDS.
The Australian Government is assisting the Government of Timor-Leste to implement PNDS through the PNDS Support Program Phase 2 (PSP2) managed by Cardno Emerging Markets.
We currently have a vacancy for the position of Engineer Technical Support Officer within the Field Support Team (FST).
The main objectives of the Engineer Technical Support Officer are to:
- Provide support for FST engineer advisers, engineering monitoring officers and others.
- Provide technical guidance, support, and training for the PNDS district engineers and sub-district technical facilitators (SDTF) in engineering procedures and practice.
- Support the PNDS management team to understand and manage issues arising from the field (systems, capacity, resources, and community opinions) particularly in relation to the quality of infrastructure construction and maintenance.
- Develop strong relationships with counterparts within the PNDS Secretariat.
The key responsibilities of the Engineer Technical Support Officer are to:
- Support the work of the FST engineer advisers, engineering monitoring officers and others in the FST and technical assistance teams.
- Provide advice and support on-the-job training for PNDS district engineers and sub-district technical facilitators (SDTF) throughout the program cycle.
- Work with the FST engineer advisers to develop simple technical monitoring tools, forms and site inspection reports that can be used by District Engineers and SDTF’s.
- Participate in regular work planning and scheduling activities with the FST engineer advisers and PNDS counterparts.
- Undertake field visits with national engineers and advisers to monitor progress and provide on the job technical support.
- Identify significant issues that impact on construction quality; document in field reports and provide technical recommendations to the relevant district engineer and SDTF’s.
- Together with engineer advisers, identify key issues from the field, prepare training materials and deliver the training to district engineers and SDTF’s as required.
- In close coordination with advisers and district engineers, support the CNEFP mobile training and provide input about how to link this mobile training team with SDTF activities.
- Support PNDS district engineers in leadership, training, reporting, management and coordination, including creating strong networks amongst the SDTFs.
- Together with engineer advisers, support PNDS national engineers to understand all PNDS systems and procedures.
A copy of the Terms of Reference, Selection Criteria, and remuneration package can be found by clicking on the link:
All applications must include a cover letter, responses against each of the selection criteria, CV/resume, and the details (name, phone, email) of three referees.
Applications may be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in hard copy to the Cardno office (Estrada de Balide, Dili).
This position is for a fixed term to 30 June 2016.
The PNDS Support Program offers a competitive salary and a range of other benefits including:
- Annual, sick and compassionate leave
- Communications allowance
- Medical benefit for the employee and family
- Personal accident insurance policy
- Payment of travel allowances for field trips
- Professional development.
Email email@example.com with the reference “PC32 – Engineer Technical Support Officer” in the subject line.
Closing date: 23 January 2015, 5.00pm Dili time.
Late applications will not be considered.
Cardno is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Cardno encourages women to apply. Cardno recognizes the moral and legal responsibility to provide an equal opportunity workplace by ensuring that all recruitment and selection decisions are based on the best qualified and experienced candidate who can perform the genuine inherent requirements of the position.
Cardno is committed to Child Protection, Anti-bribery and Fraud prevention in the delivery of our International Development project and programs. Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment and may include a relevant police or criminal record check.