PNDS Support Program – Engineer Support Officer
Job Reference Number
Position no. PC73-79 (seven positions available)
Locally Engaged Staff
Australasia; Timor-Leste; Dili
Cardno Emerging Markets is seeking energetic and enthusiastic candidates to work as part of a team of highly skilled as part of the PNDS Support Program.
The Programa Nasional Dezenvolvimentu Suku (PNDS), or National Program for Village Development, is a major, nation-wide community development program of the Government of Timor-Leste (GoTL). Launched in June 2012 and valued at US$300 million over eight years, it will contribute to rural development by funding the ‘missing link’ to services – basic village infrastructure – and provide jobs and training.
The Government is providing each village with an annual grant of around US$50,000 to plan, construct and manage their own small scale infrastructure projects.
An Inter-Ministerial Committee and Technical Working Group, representing key ministries (Finance, State Administration, Health, Education, Agriculture, Public Works and the National Development Agency), have been established to oversee the implementation of PNDS. A PNDS Secretariat within the Ministry of State Administration supports these bodies and is responsible for the implementation of PNDS.
The Australian Government is assisting the Government of Timor-Leste to implement PNDS through the PNDS Support Program Phase 2 (PSP2) managed by Cardno Emerging Markets.
We currently have a vacancy for the position of Engineer Support Officer within the Field Support Team (FST) (seven positions available).
The main objectives of the Engineer Support Officer are to:
- Provide technical support, training and mentoring for PNDS district engineers and sub-district technical facilitators (SDTFs).
- Support the PNDS management team to understand and manage issues arising from the field (systems, capacity, resources, and community opinions) particularly in relation to the quality of infrastructure construction and maintenance.
- Assist the PNDS Secretariat to monitor, assess and audit the engineering activities of the program.
The key responsibilities of the Engineer Support Officer are to:
- Work with the FST engineer advisers to develop simple tools and reporting formats.
- Participate in quarterly work planning and scheduling activities with the Field Coordinator – Social Development.
- Undertake extensive and ongoing field visits (approx. 15 sukus/aldeias visited per month – both urban and rural) to monitor progress and provide on-the-job technical support.
- Prepare monthly field summary reports with details of findings (positive and negative), including photos and recommendations.
- Identify significant issues that impact on the quality of infrastructure construction and brief the PNDS district engineers.
- In response to issues identified, support and mentor the district engineers to resolve issues and provide technical recommendations to STDFs for follow-up.
- Support the district engineers to monitor the progress and quality of the project construction.
- Support the district engineers to undertake regular site inspections and provide reports and recommendations to STDFs to follow up.
- Support the STDF in decision making after consultation with the district engineer.
- Support PNDS district engineers in leadership, management and coordination, including creating strong networks amongst the SDTFs.
- Support PNDS district engineers in management of data and reporting activities.
- Support PNDS teams to manage and implement community engagement activities including community management training modules that promote gender equity and social inclusion.
A copy of the Terms of Reference, Selection Criteria, and remuneration package can be found by clicking on the link:
All applications must include a cover letter, responses against each of the selection criteria, CV/resume, and the details (name, phone, email) of three referees.
Applications may be submitted via email to email@example.com or in hard copy to the Cardno office (Estrada de Balide, Dili).
This position is for a fixed term to 30 June 2016.
The PNDS Support Program offers a competitive salary and a range of other benefits including:
- Annual, sick and compassionate leave
- Communications allowance
- Medical benefit for the employee and family
- Personal accident insurance policy
- Payment of travel allowances for field trips
- Professional development.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the reference “PC73-79 Engineer Support Officer” in the subject line.
Closing date: 23 January 2015, 5.00pm Dili time.
Late applications will not be considered.
Cardno is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Cardno encourages women to apply. Cardno recognizes the moral and legal responsibility to provide an equal opportunity workplace by ensuring that all recruitment and selection decisions are based on the best qualified and experienced candidate who can perform the genuine inherent requirements of the position.
Cardno is committed to Child Protection, Anti-bribery and Fraud prevention in the delivery of our International Development project and programs. Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment and may include a relevant police or criminal record check.