REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Democratic Republic of East Timor
Second Chance Education Project
Grant Nos: P116520
Expressions of Interest
The Democratic Republic of East Timor has received financing administered by the World Bank towards the cost of the Second Chance Education Project (SCEP), and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consultant services regarding: Senior Researcher/Study Consultant for the Educational Demand and Needs Assessment Study (International Position).
A key function of the consultant will be:
- Conduct a systematic and comprehensive needs assessment regarding NEP implementation
- An assessment about the current demand for NEP throughout the country (rural and urban areas) and forecasting (demand).
- A special focus of these assessments in relation to the Community Learning Centers beneficiaries.
- A special focus on the supply side to assess the existing suppliers/providers/facilities that can support the implementation of recurrent education activities.
- Connect local level program interventions with national level policy-making processes by identifying potential for NEP improvement and scale-up.
- Inception Report
- Data Collection Progress Report
- Draft Study Report
- Final Study Report
- Dissemination of the Study Findings
Timeframe and activities
The timeline includes the main phases and key activities of the Study process – the entire process will take 5 months from the date of contract signing. Timeline in the table below is indicative and the consultant is responsible for developing a more comprehensive and detailed work plan as part of the inception report, adapted to the specific methodology and resources.
Demand and Needs Education Assessment Study timeline
|Study Phase||Activity||Actor||Approximate Timeframe|
|Preparation, Inception, and Methodology||Documentation review
Assist NDRE in the recruitment of enumerators and preparations for data collection
Draft Inception report submission
Development of study instruments and tools
|1st till 3rd week
(Start early January 2015)
|Inception report review and approval
|Study Consultant, NDRE and WB SCEP Task Team||4th week|
|Training of District Consultants / enumerators and NDRE district and subdistrict officers, community facilitators and other MOE staff participating in the data collection
|Study Consultant with the NDRE||5th and 6th weeks|
|Data Collection, Cleaning & Data Entry||Conduction of Interviews, focus groups, surveys, others, Data management and supervision, Data quality review, Data cleaning and Data Entry
|Study Consultant, District Consultants/Enumerators, District and subdistrict officers and other NDRE staff||7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th weeks|
|Data Analysis||Data analysis||Study Consultant||14th, 15th and 16th weeks|
|Report Writing||Submission of zero draft
|Study Consultant||17th week|
|Internal review, comments and revision||WB SCEP Task Team and NDRE||18th and 19th weeks|
|Revision and Finalization||Revision, approval, and submission of final report||Study Consultant and NDRE||20th week
(By May 31, 2015)
|Dissemination of the Report||Share and disseminate the main findings||Study Consultant and NDRE||21st week|
The assignment is planned for 5 person-months and expected to commence in January 2015.
The Ministry of Education of the Democratic Republic of East Timor now invites eligible individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing the services for this position. Firms are not invited to propose individual consultants. Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (CV, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills, etc.).
Qualification requirements are:
- Graduate Degree in sociology, statistic or education. Master Degree or Ph.D. is an added value.
- Minimum of six years of work experience with mixed qualitative and quantitative analyses tools and instruments, using different up-to-date software to support data analyses;
- Minimum of three years of experience in conducting/coordinating needs assessment and demand studies/research, working with teams and providing training for data collection. Experiences related to formal and/or recurrent education programs is an added value;
- Experience working in Timor-Leste or in other developing and post-conflict contexts is an added value;
- Experience of working closely with government institutions;
- Proficiency in Portuguese or English. Ability to understand and speak Tetum is an added value;
- Ability to set priorities and deliver results in a short period of time, focused, and flexible with excellent communication skills;
The successful candidate shall be offered a standard remuneration package according to rates for this level of specialization.
Interested eligible consultants may obtain further information and a copy of the Terms of Reference from the Management Strengthening Project at the address given below or visit Ministry’s website at: https://www.moe.gov.tl/?q=node/264 or download by clicking here: –> ToR for Researcher_Demand and Needs Study
The email subject heading must be: Senior Researcher/Study Consultant for the Educational Demand and Needs Assessment Study.
A consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits and Grants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011).
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours 09:00 to 17:00 hours of local time.
The Expression of Interest together with your latest curriculum vitae must be delivered to the email address given below by 5th December 2014.
Attn: Mr. Danino da Cunha
National Director of Procurement
Ministry of Education
Democratic Republic of East Timor
Vila Verde, Dili
Tel: +670 3311035