The Embassy of the United States of America
Seeking an individual for the position of Cultural Affairs Assistant in the Public Diplomacy Section.
POSITION: Cultural Affairs Assistant, FSN-9
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION:
The Cultural Affairs Assistant will serve as the Embassy’s Education and Alumni Coordinator and will be responsible for youth outreach and the development of an exciting new element of American presence and outreach in Timor-Leste: American Spaces. This position will be a key player in the effort to build and promote relations between the United States and Timor-Leste, particularly with the youth population. S/he will promote opportunities for Timorese youth to study in the United States, providing comprehensive and unbiased information, advice, and counseling on educational opportunities through individual and group sessions, email or phone. S/he will work to identify options to establish an American presence for outreach purposes with a local partner, develop and implement a plan for introducing an American Space program and oversee its operations. As Alumni Coordinator, s/he is responsible for promoting greater contact with and cooperation among alumni of U.S. Government-sponsored exchange programs as well as maintaining meaningful relations with alumni through a series of programs and outreach activities of his/her design that also serve to strengthen their understanding of American policies, values and society
* Bachelor’s degree in liberal arts, business, social sciences or international relations field;
* Minimum two years of experience in academic environments, with significant responsibility for verbal and written communications, knowledge of academic resources, and providing a high level of interaction with students and professional staff;
* At least one year of relevant professional experience in programming activities or in U.S.- Timor-Leste relations;
* Level 4 (Fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing in English and Level 3 (Good Knowledge) in Tetum;
* Must possess superior interpersonal skills to develop and maintain contacts among senior and/or up-and coming contacts across important sectors of society;
* Must possess strong oral and written communication skills, including advanced public speaking ability;
* Must be competent with MSOffice software, Facebook and Twitter.
* Experience with the U.S. educational system is preferred but not required.
WHO MAY APPLY: Local nationals or anyone with the required permits and documentation to legally seek employment in Timor-Leste.
HOW TO APPLY: Complete DS-174 (Universal Application for Employment). Application forms and detailed Position Description are available at the U.S. Embassy. Applicants may also attach a resume or CV that contains the same information as required in form DS-174. An attractive salary and benefits package will be commensurate with candidate’s qualifications and experience.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE POSITION: October 7, 2014.