REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Democratic Republic of East Timor
Management Strengthening Project
Grant Nos: TF012495
Expressions of interest
The Democratic Republic of East Timor has received financing administered by the World Bank under the Global Partnership for Education Fund toward the cost of the Management Strengthening Project (MSP), and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consultant services regarding: International Classroom Language Mapping Advisor.
A key function of the International Classroom Language Mapping Advisor will be to advise and provide comprehensive support to the Ministry of Education with implementation of the language mapping. The responsibilities of the advisor will include, but are not limited to:
- to set up the framework, including implementation arrangements for, and costing of, data collection (MoE in-house capacity versus outsourcing);
- to develop guidelines/manuals of the mapping process, templates and questionnaires to collect data, tools to process data;
- to develop a system for data entry, storage, processing and visualization, e.g. converting into a GIS format;
- support translation of prepared materials in Tetun;
- training of supervisors and MoE staff at the national level:
- to prepare training materials;
- to provide training tentatively for one week
- training should cover responsibilities of supervisors and staff at the national and sub-national levels and school administration; management of mapping process; procedures to collect, enter, verify, process and analyze data;
- training of data collectors/enumerators and district education staff:
- to prepare training materials;
- to provide a series of training sessions in districts;
- training should cover responsibilities of staff at sub-national level, communication with school administration, district education officers and mapping supervisors; procedures to collect, enter and verify data;
- to validate set up system and developed templates, questionnaire and other tools;
- to monitor data collection, verification and processing at the initial stage and provide feed-back and undertake all necessary measures to ensure compliance of actually applied procedures with the developed and tested framework;
- Data Collection:
- to provide distance general oversight and strategic guidance during data collection;
- Data Processing and Report Writing:
- to oversee and provide guidance data entering, verification and converting into the format selected for data visualization, e.g. GIS format;
- to carry out analysis of the collected data, produce a draft final report, and consider various options for map presentation. The report should cover all 13 districts, include all necessary explanations and interpretations and be written in clear and plain language to be understood by non-technical and non-linguistic people.
- Report Presentation:
- to hold a workshop to present the report;
- to prepare the final report, including all databases, applications, processing tools, source codes, GIS shapefiles, etc.;
- to assist the MoE with publishing language distribution maps for each district. This would include hard copies, and soft copies in PDF, of the maps.
- framework, guidelines, manuals, templates and questionnaires, system and cost estimates to collect, verify, process, store, analyze and visualize data – within 3 weeks from the contract commencement date;
- training materials for supervisors and MoE staff at the national level – within 6 weeks from the contract commencement date;
- training materials for data collectors/enumerators and district education staff – within 6 weeks from the contract commencement date;
- training for staff involved in language mapping at the national and sub-national levels – within 6 weeks from the contract commencement date;
- system and tools for language mapping validated – 8 weeks;
- monitor data collection and feedback – within first week(s) of data collection;
- draft final report – within 6 weeks from completion of data collection;
- presentation of the draft final report – 7 weeks from completion of data collection;
- final report and data for publication of language distribution maps/atlas – within 10 weeks from completion of data collection but not later than 15 July 2015.
The assignment is planned for 5 person-months within the period ended on 31 July 2015 and expected to commence ASAP.
The Ministry of Education of the Democratic Republic of East Timor now invites eligible individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing the services for this position. Firms are not invited to propose individual consultants. Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (CV, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills, etc.). Qualification requirements are:
- advanced academic degree in Sociology, Education, Linguistics or other relevant field;
- at least 5-year experience in carrying out language surveys, developing data analysis tools and staff training;
- good knowledge and understanding of mother-tongue based approaches to education and bi/multi-lingual education;
- experience in carrying out classroom language mapping is essential;
- cross-cultural training and teaching experience is essential;
- post conflict country experience or experience of working in countries with a similar context as Timor-Leste;
- working experience in Timor-Leste and/or countries of the South-East Asia is desirable;
- fluency in English; proficiency in Portuguese and/or Tetun and/or Bahasa Indonesia is considered a strong asset;
- good communication skills;
- excellent writing skills.
The successful candidate shall be offered a standard remuneration package according to rates for this level of specialization.
Interested eligible consultants may obtain further information and a copy of the Terms of Reference from the Management Strengthening Project at the address given below or visit Ministry’s website at: http://www.moe.gov.tl/ or click here to download the TOR –> ToR International Classroom Language Mapping Advisor
The email subject heading must be: International Classroom Language Mapping Advisor.
A consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits and Grants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011).
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours 09:00 to 17:00 hours of local time.
The Expression of Interest together with your latest curriculum vitae must be delivered to the email address given below by 23rd September 2014.
Attn: Mr. Danino da Cunha
National Director of Procurement
Ministry of Education
Democratic Republic of East Timor
Vila Verde, Dili
Tel: +670 3311035