Engineer Adviser – PNDS Support Program
Job Reference Number
International Development Assistance/Emerging Markets
Australasia; Timor-Leste; Dili
The Programa Nasional Dezenvolvimentu Suku (PNDS), or National Program for Village Development, is a new, nation-wide community development program of the Government of Timor-Leste (GoTL). Launched in June 2012 and valued at $300 million over eight years from 2014, it will contribute to rural development by funding the ‘missing link’ to services – basic village infrastructure – and provide jobs and training.
The Government is providing each village with an annual grant of around US$50,000 to plan, construct and manage their own small scale infrastructure projects.
An Inter-Ministerial Committee and a Technical Working Group, representing key ministries (Finance, State Administration, Health, Education, Agriculture, Public Works and the National Development Agency), have been established to oversee the implementation of PNDS. The PNDS Secretariat within the Ministry of State Administration supports these bodies and is responsible for the implementation of PNDS.
The Australian Government is assisting the Government of Timor-Leste to implement PNDS through the PNDS Support Program managed by Cardno Emerging Markets.
The PNDS Support Program currently has a requirement for Engineer Adviser.
The key responsibilities of the Engineer Adviser will be to
- Build capacity of PNDS engineers at the district levels by advising and providing on-the-job training throughout the program cycle, using the program operations manual (POM) and PNDS technical standard guidelines as guidance.
- Support district engineers to ensure MIS is updated monthly with physical progress reporting and monitoring data from villages, and that systems for data verification are in place.
- Support district engineers (and indirectly sub-district technical facilitators) in carrying out technical monitoring.
- Support district engineers to provide clear instructions (oral or written) to sub-district technical facilitators on technical engineering issues, environmental protection and workplace health and safety.
- In response to technical engineering issues identified in the field, support and mentor the PNDS district engineers to resolve issues, and work with the Senior Engineer Adviser – FST to provide engineering policy advice and guidelines to PNDS management.
- Work closely with the Senior Engineer Adviser and Engineering Support Officers of the FST to share lessons learned from the field (technical, environmental and safety) and provide input to the design of refresher training for PNDS engineers.
- Work closely with the district engineers to facilitate training and regular learning workshops for sub district technical facilitators and community management teams.
- Support PNDS district engineers with work planning, reporting and taking the lead on managing engineering implementation issues including environmental protection and workplace health and safety.
- Provide technical and professional advice for the Engineering Support Officers of the FST and guide them to build capacity of PNDS engineers at the district and sub district level through on-the-job coaching and mentoring.
- Undertake regular field visits to provide engineering management support to PNDS district engineers and FST Engineering Support Officers.
- Work closely with the Senior Engineer Adviser – FST and other team members to draft policies, procedures, work plans and reports to guide FST support.
A copy of the Terms of Reference and Selection Criteria for this position can be found by clicking on the link:
Please click on the Terms of Referencefor selection criteria and how to apply.
To be contracted for 12 months with possibility of extension
By email: email your application with the reference “PC40 – Engineer Adviser” in the subject line firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information about this position:
Email email@example.com with the reference “PC40 – Engineer Adviser” in the subject line.
Closing date 10 July 2014, 5.00pm Dili time.
Late applications will not be considered.