Unit: UNESCO Dili Antenna Office
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Level: GS 5
Duty Station: UNESCO Dili Antenna Office
Starting Date : 1 April 2014
Type of contract: Service Contract
Closing Date Application : 17 March 2014
Description of Responsibilities :
Under the direct supervision of the Liaison Officer/Chief of Dili Antenna Office and in close cooperation with the Finance and Administrative Officer, and Programme Specialists of the UNESCO Representative Office to Timor-Leste based in Jakarta, the incumbent will perform the following tasks:
1. Human Resource
- Update on a regular basis personal files, verifying records or maintain a variety of staff documentation such as the various leave records (sick leave, annual leave, special leave, home leave), records on appointments, transfers, promotions and separations;
- Prepare and disseminate on a regular basis a list and composition of the staff working for UNESCO in Timor-Leste to UNDSS, and other UN Agencies and/or coordination mechanisms;
- Make travel arrangements for missions of Dili-based staff as well as visiting missions (flight booking, visa, hotel arrangements, security clearance, travel order, car and transportation arrangements) as well as prepare, process and follow-up on administrative arrangements and forms (travel record/claims) related to the concerned travel.
2. General Financial, Administration and Secretarial Support
• Assist in the supervision and management of Office Premises (i.e. follow up on maintenance of furniture, repair and maintenance of the premises and supervision of the facilities in the premises; liaise with common premises);
• Supervise and organize the mailing and pouch services; Receive, screen, log and route correspondences and attach necessary background information and maintain and file copies for follow-up;
• Maintain chrono and electronic files of incoming and outgoing correspondences (letters, fax, email, telex), documents and reports;
• Monitor expenditure and update budget of the Office running costs on a regular basis, as well as prepare a monitoring report at the end of each month;
• Maintain the petty cash of the Office;
• Assist in the management of cash allocated to activities under extra-budgetary projects,
• Assist in the implementation of activities under regular programme and extra budgetary projects by administering and following up with partners on the different types of contracts (service, financing activity, consultant, travel and education grants);
• Prepare payment requests for purchase orders and payments;
• Assist in the preparation of the biennial budget for the office;
• Take dictation and draft routine correspondence and memoranda and undertake other related general tasks, and keep appropriate files;
• Prepare informal translations and act as interpreter (English/Tetum);
• Assist in making appointments and receiving visitors;
• Participate in UN coordination meetings regarding administration, common premises, security and other related topics (e.g. the Integrated Operations Managers Group);
• Assist in organizing official meetings, workshops, seminars and conferences
3. Protocol and Visas
• Keep updated records of UNESCO international as well as national staff lists (including name, date of birth, entrance on duty and termination of assignment dates of all staff members, ID card number of nationals, UNLP and UN Family Certificate Number as well as National passport number for international staff, date of birth of all officially recognized dependants, residence and cell phone numbers and physical home addresses;
• Ascertain that all international staff possesses a valid national passport, and/or a UN Laissez Passer and UN Family Certificate;
• Obtain resident visa for newly arrived international staff members and their recognized dependants (if required);
• Obtain necessary Airport passes and vehicle registrations as needed;
• Obtain required visa for staff and visitors on official travel for the organization to and outside the country;
• Prior to expiry date of all travel documents and visas, follow up and encourage all staff members to take timely renewal action;
4. Procurement Services
• Identify procurement needs to support the office and programme operations on a monthly basis;
• According to the procurement policy of the organization coordinate the procurement service of the office and extra-budgetary projects;
• Collect necessary quotations from potential suppliers;
• Prepare the comparison tables and purchase orders;
• Supervise proper delivery of the ordered materials and prepare payment request on confirmation of satisfactory delivery.
- Maintain updated assets inventory lists for the office. The updates of the inventory list must be reported to Jakarta Office (Attn.: Finance & Administrative Officer) before the end of the year;
- Coordinate and assist units having extra-budgetary projects in maintaining updated project asset inventory lists;
6. Other related duties as assigned by the Officer/Chief of Dili Antenna Office, Administrative Officer or the Director of the office.
1. Knowledge of the UN financial and administrative rules and practices will be an advantage.
2. Fluency in spoken and written English and Tetum as well as possess the ability to draft documents and express views in a clear and concise manner;
3. Ability to work as a team member as well as work independently with minimum supervision, with efficiency, competency, integrity and in harmony with people of different backgrounds
4. Ability to identify prioritized activities and assignments as well as manage time to ensure work is completed to deadlines and targets
5. Strong analytical skills and ability to analyze complex issues.
6. Ability to work under pressure while maintaining accuracy and paying attention to details.
7. Excellent communication, negotiation and coordination skills
8. Excellent knowledge and understanding on the administrative and financial components of office and programmatic operations.
Education: Bachelor Degree, preferably in administration or financial management;
Work Experience: At least 5-7 years of relevant experience in administration with local and/or international organizations
Languages: Must have fluency in spoken and written English and Tetum, in particular the ability to draft letters, reports, and documents and express views in a clear and concise manner.
. Knowledge of UN systems and procedures as they relate to Staff Regulations and Rules, personnel and administrative policies and procedures as well as financial rules and procedures is an asset;
. Strong skills on budgeting and inventory management;
. Strong computer literacy skills with sound knowledge of Microsoft Office
All applications in English, with the most recent Curriculum Vitae besides the UNESCO Personnel History form, as well as a non-returnable passport-size photo should be sent to the Finance and Administrative Officer, UNESCO Jakarta, and received by COB 17 March 2014, to one of the following:
By mail for hard-copy to :
UNESCO Dili Antenna Office
UN House, Rua Caicoli
Dili, Timor Leste
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquiries will be accepted. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. UNESCO reserves the right to accept or reject any application.