OPEN TO INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL CANDIDATES
Title: DRR Project Assistant (1 Staff)
Duty Station: Dili, Timor-Leste
Type of Appointment: SPECIAL ALL INCLUSIVE CONTRACT (SAIC)
Reference code: VN/2014/001
Under the direct supervision of the National Project Officer (NPO) and overall guidance of the Chief of Mission (COM), the Project Assistant is responsible for facilitating the implementation of IOM DRR project activities. In particular, the incumbent will be responsible for the following functions:
- Assist the NPO in maintaining collaborative relationships with humanitarian and development actors in Timor-Leste, including government, multi-lateral organizations, NGOs, media, etc
- Act as a liaison between the NPO and the government at District level and facilitate bilateral or multi-lateral meetings at all levels;
- Work closely with IOM project partners in district level to ensure implementation of the project in line with project plan.
- Regularly liaise, provide project updates and develop relationships with key senior government officials at District, and village level and ensure the government understanding and continued support thereof;
- Be the main focal point for implementation at the District level of project deliverables;
- Advise NPO on relevant discussions within local governments and communities that may affect the project activities and assist NPO in developing relevant activities to address and respond to local government and village priorities accordingly;
- Assist NPO in development and maintenance of strong advocacy and lobbying link of the project;
- Participate in the government development planning mechanism to encourage DRR mainstreaming into the government development priorities;
- Assist NPO to promote and raise awareness of IOM’s activities by disseminating promotional materials to Government, partners, stakeholders and the public;
- Assist NPO to ensure that IOM Timor-Leste actively participates in government DRR related activities and events to promote DRR awareness;
- Assist in ensuring appropriate documentation of IOM activities through media initiatives (photos, human interest stories, documentaries, etc.);
- Participate in project-related meetings, workshops, seminars, coordination meetings as required;
- Act with integrity and professionalism and in accordance with IOM’s Code of Conduct, at all times;
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by NPO.
High school diploma or equivalent. University degree, in Development related fields, Disaster Risk Reduction related areas of study would be an advantage, or alternatively, combination of related education and professional experience. Have at least four years of professional experience in project implementation and related activities. Thorough knowledge of government structures and development planning mechanisms. Strong knowledge and implementation experience with DRR issues and relevant government structures.
Demonstrated strong communication skills as well as interpersonal and public relation skills. Ability to prepare clear and concise reports. Existing network and demonstrated government relations and ability to mobilize government representatives to achieve results. Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility, drive for results, respect for diversity, creative thinking, and punctual. Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
Language: Fluency in English and Tetum both written and spoken is required.
Working knowledge of Portuguese and or Bahasa is an advantage.
Please send only your application letter and CV to the email address: email@example.com.
Applications submit directly to IOM Office will not be considered.
The deadline for submitting applications is: Friday, 14th March 2014