National or International Curriculum and Adult Education Specialist (3rd cycle of Basic Education) for Tetum Language
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Democratic Republic of East Timor
Ministry of Education – Second Chance Education Project
Project ID: P116520
Expressions of interestThe Democratic Republic of East Timor has received financing from World Bank towards the cost of the Second Chance Education Project (the “SCEP), and intends to apply part of the proceeds for hiringNational or International Curriculum and Adult Education Specialist (3rd cycle of Basic Education) for Tetum Language to support curriculum development of Level II of National Equivalency Program (equivalent to the 3 cycle of Basic Education) (PNE).
A key function of the curriculum expert is to
(i) support the necessary development of curriculum subject and the organization of curriculum content for the Level II of the Equivalence Program;
(ii) ensure that Direção Nacional do Ensino Recorrente (DNER) works effectively with: a) writing the curriculum relating to curriculum subject and organization of curriculum contents (Tetum Language); b) designing and developing instructional materials for teachers and students; c) designing and developing Manual / Teacher Guide and; d) training and building capacity of the DNER pedagogical technical staff.
The Consultant will work closely with the International Curriculum Development Consultant, the DNER Pedagogical Technical Team and Team Managers for Curriculum Development of the Ministry of Education as well as with external partners, including UNESCO and UNICEF, who are actively engaged in discussion of development of curriculum for PNE.
The responsibilities of the Consultant will include, but not limited to:
1. Mainly serve as expert for designing and developing curriculum subject and the organization of curriculum content of the TÉTUM LANGUAGE discipline for the Level II of the Equivalence. Position is technical and non-teaching.
2. Be responsible for designing the curriculum, designing and developing instructional materials for students and manual / teacher guide. However (s)he will be available for other activities if requested by the DNER management.
3. Develop the following specific tasks of daily work:
a) Contribute to the revision and reasoning of area / subject / content of the national curriculum of recurrent education and non-formal education in Timor-Leste;
b) Design and develop the subject content of the curriculum for recurrent and non-formal-education and related instructional materials (student and teacher Manual and school books) to support teaching and teacher training (teacher manual / guide) and other instructional materials for technical support for teaching;
c) Help organize, plan and conduct workshops on validation between curriculum specialists and various protagonists in supporting the design of curriculum and instructional materials for all areas of the country;
d) Design and develop curriculum materials and subject content, based on methodologies and methods of learning / distance learning;
e) Plan and design Program for the Teachers Training for Recurrent Education to build capacity together with the DNER Pedagogical Technical Team;
f) Train the DNER Pedagogical Technical Team in developingcurriculum and instructional materials, methods and media, materials and technologies to support recurrent education and non/formal education with emphasis on formal learning / distance learning;
g) Provide other services as requested by the DNER.
The assignment is planned for 3 months and expected to commence ASAP.
The Ministry of Education of the Democratic Republic of East Timor now invites eligible individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing the services for this position. Firms are not invited to propose individual consultants. Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (CV, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills, etc.). Qualification requirements are:
1. Degree of higher education (preferably to postgraduate) in language or related areas;
2. Minimum of two years of work experience in the planning and development of high quality curricula in adult education and recurrent and non-formal education;
3. Experience working in Timor-Leste or in another context of capacity building in places with under qualified human resources and post-conflict contexts;
4. Strong knowledge and experience as learning systems for young people and adults, recurrent and non-formal;
5. Practical experience with World Bank projects is an advantage;
6. Experience of working closely with government institutions;
7. Proficiency in Portuguese and Tétum Language;
8. Ability to set priorities and deliver results in a short period of time, focused, and flexible with excellent communication skills;
9. Knowledge and experience working with the Portuguese/ Tétum pre-secondary education model is an asset.
Interested eligible consultants may obtain further information and a copy of the Terms of Reference from the Second Chance Education Project at the address given below or visit our website at: http://www.moe.gov.tl/?q=node/38
The email subject heading must be: Curriculum and Adult Education Specialist (3rd cycle of Basic Education) for Tetun Language
A consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits and Grants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011).
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours 09:00 to 17:00 hours of local time.
The Expression of Interest together with your latest curriculum vitae must be delivered to the email address given below by 14 February 2014.
Attn: Mr. Danino da Cunha
National Director of Procurement
Ministry of Education
Democratic Republic of East Timor
Vila Verde, Dili
Tel: +670 3311035
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com