Post title: ICT Specialist – Systems Analyst
Ministry of Justice – Dili/Timor-Leste
Duration: 6 months with possible extension
Expected Start date: February 2014
Under the supervision of the Chief of ICT of the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) and the Head of IT from UNDP Justice System Programme (JSP), the ICT Specialist will support the development of new and existing IIMS software applications, including training of national staff on software designs, standards and tools.
Scope of Work
- Lead and facilitate the development of an overall Justice Sector IT master plan for the consolidation and further development of the IIMS systems over the next five to ten years, to include the maintenance and replacement/upgrade of hardware, network, and infrastructure; the management of power and connectivity requirements; and the expansion and exploitation of the potential of the software applications on the institutional and Sector level and work together with the Planning Secretariat to build a permanent management structure to administer these functions within the Sector
- Lead architecture design, software development and solution management to ensure that these are aligned to the Justice Sector objectives and priorities and work together with the Planning Secretariat to build a permanent management structure for these functions within the Sector
- Act as project manager for the design, implementation, customization and maintenance of IIMS software applications projects working closely with technical staff and software development firm in developing plans and monitoring progress and work together with the Planning Secretariat to build a permanent management structure for these functions within the Sector
- Conduct thorough systems requirements gathering exercises while ensuring the following:
- Structuring systems design by understanding and focusing on the core institutional and IT directorate needs;
- Assessing requirements through the understanding of each Sector’s institutional needs and analysis of the specific processes;
- Developing preliminary cost-estimates for different solution options in view of current and potential technical capabilities and work with the Planning Secretariat to build these costs into the national budget for 2015;
- Actively engage in providing creative inputs for the development of new tools and systems, enhancement to existing tools/systems or new ways of using / integrating tools/systems
- Analyze trends in user experiences in order to prioritize fixes and enhancements to IIMS Systems within the Justice Sector, ensuring their continual improvement
- Act as liaison between MoJ and the software firm/supplier to ensure successful delivery of services.
- Engage with team members within each institutions’ IT Unit to analyze, recommend, plan, design, and implement solutions for the citizens of Timor-Leste that meet strategic, usability, performance, reliability, control, and security requirements.
- In partnership with the software maintenance firm, provide mentoring and technical assistance for the national IT staff on IIMS Systems administration, installation, maintenance and upgrading and support the auditing functions set out in the software maintenance contract.
- Enhance the existing systems development methodologies, procedures, providing manuals, documentation of best practices, configurations, support and systems analysis and development for the IIMS Systems used across the Justice Sector.
Provide training and transfer knowledge of systems and software development to national IT staff in:
- Data modeling, analysis and programming including planning and implementation of formal training sessions for the local IT Units.
- Mentoring and technical assistance for the national IT staff to enhance their ability to generate relevant figures from the existent IIMS Systems.
- Perform the activities below, progressively transferring responsibilities to the national staff, on the following lines:
- Data modeling, analysis and programming.
- System and user documentation.
- Functional and usability testing.
- DBA, system staging & deployment.
- End user training.
- Database Supervision, maintenance and backups.
- The primary goal is to be available to provide effective and comprehensive consultation, systems and software development support to existing IIMS systems within the Justice Sector of Timor-Leste and work together with the Planning Secretariat to build a permanent management structure for this purpose within the Sector. The systems includes:
- Courts Case Management supported and established.
- Public Defenders Client Management supported and established.
- Prisons Inmate and Facility Management supported and established.
- Automatic Data Exchange (ADE) between Courts, Prosecutions, and Public Defenders
- Statistical Data Center (SDC) as central repository for Justice Sector Statistics
- Prosecutors Case Management supported and established.
- National Police Incident, Investigations, Criminal Record, and Warrant Registry Management
- Systems documentation, diagrams and manuals produced and up to date.
- Capacity development of the IT staff in Systems Requirements and Database analysis, design and development.
- A University degree in Computer Science, Systems Engineering, Information Systems or related fields, with emphasis in Systems Analysis and Design.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively professional experience in Software and Systems Analysis and Implementations, including: Analyzing Requirements, Programming Skills, Software Development Processes and Software Design and Documentation.
- Experience in business process modeling including documenting and analyzing functional procedures and workflows, business process reengineering and definition and evaluation of user requirements in the selection or development and implementations of IT systems.
- Work experience in managing projects with a preference in development and implementation of web-based or client-server based systems using any standard development tools.
- Proven ability to advise and train users in the use of complex systems/applications and related matters and effectively prepare specifications and other written reports/documentation in a clear and concise style. Ability to communicate with various levels of technical experience (developers, end-users, management and support staff);
- Experience Web services (SOAP, XML), XSLT, AJAX and Drupal are considered an asset.
- Experience in Open-Source tools and software is an asset.
- Oral and written Portuguese and English.
- Tetun or Indonesian language skills are considered an asset.
Personal characteristics considered advantageous
- Ability to identify clients’ needs and extract, interpret, analyze and format data across using technological solutions appropriate to the business needs.
- Ability to organize, plan and implement work assignments, ability to allocate appropriate time and resources for completing work and managing conflicting priorities. Identifies priority activities and assignments and adjusts priorities as required.
- Ability and interest in training and supporting less experienced colleagues.
- Ability to work and communicate in a team environment with good problem solving.
- Capacity to deal with different cultural backgrounds and language barriers.
Applicants meeting the above qualifications are requested to submit detailed CV along with a letter of interest and financial proposal by January 10th 2014 to: firstname.lastname@example.org