Plan International in Timor-Leste –
1. Youth Empowerment for Sustainable Development (YE4SD) Technical Officer (2 Positions) Based in Maubisse Sub-District
2. Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Coordinator (1 Position)
3. Senior Child Right Program Manager (1 Position)
As an equal opportunity employer Plan strongly encourage applications from women and from people with disabilities. Plan offers competitive salaries and long-term employment opportunities.
- 1. Youth Empowerment for Sustainable Development (YE4SD) Technical Officer (2 Positions) Based in Maubisse Sub-District
We strongly encourage applications from women and from people already living in Maubisse for this Maubisse-based position
- Participate in the development of a Youth Engagement Strategy during the first year of the project;
- Identify vulnerable youth in project areas and facilitate the identification of youth priorities utilizing a youth-to-youth approach;
- Coordinate and assist partners in the Life Skills training for young people including sexual and reproductive health;
- Assist in organizing youth training on developing analytical and public speaking skills;
- Advocate with duty bearers to increase opportunities for young people to participate in suco development forums;
- Provide linkages for teenage parents/caregivers and early childhood care and development programs;
- In conjunction with Youth Coordinator disseminate information to referring youth entrepreneurs to the appropriate service providers.
- Develop linkages with youth at suco and aldeia level with microfinance institutions such as National Commercial Bank of Timor –Leste and Moris Rasik for access to credit to invest on their business and support the establishment of savings and loans groups;
- Write monthly project progress reports and activity plans and participate in weekly meetings with the District YE4SD Coordinator;
- Liaise closely with local communities and leaders on project progress and planning;
- Identify youth to participate in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene skills training with the National Vocational Training Centre and link program graduates to access employment opportunities;
- Identify opportunities of engaging youth in their culture and history as a means of promoting peace and participate in the development of an action plan;
- Participate in the establishment of a Youth Advisory Group;
- Assist youth to access small grants from the project to implement small activities and projects.
Skills, qualifications, experience
- At least SMA, preferably university education
- Minimum 3 years experience in community development in a rural setting
- Experience working with youth and in a training environment
- Experience working with youth organizations and assisting in the development of their capacity
- Experiences in participatory approaches
- Understanding of Timor-Leste’s current development issues, trends, challenges and opportunities and implications to community development in Timor-Leste
- 2. Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Coordinator (1 Position)
CONTRACT LENGTH. The contract will be for nine months.
- Planning, implementation, conducting monitoring and evaluation of the safe school project to achieve project outcomes
- Develop and maintain networks and partnerships at district level for support of the disaster risk reduction project
- Provide technical support within each disaster risk reduction program including specificly for safe school program to schools and communities to increase capacity of target beneficiaries
- Provide timely and regular reports to DRM manager
- Facilitate donor and management visits at district and community level
- Ensure DRR support to safe school project in Aileu district based on risk profile, PLAN TL vision and mission
- Provide training for beneficiaries to develop and strengthen disaster preparedness and self-reliance for schools and communities most at-risk.
- Working closely with the target schools and communities in developing preparedness and response plans
- Encourage students, teachers, director of schools, parents and disabled children to participate actively in all phases of program implementation
- Facilitate regular meetings between schools and communities and relevant stakeholders
- Collaborate and coordinate with other country programs (CP, Education, Youth, WASH and etc. within the framework of the integration of DRR in districts and communities level.
Skills, qualifications, experience
- Bachelor or advanced (higher) university degree or equivalent in social/community development or in related fields
- At least 2 years experience in development work on disaster risk reduction in education or safe school, and being responsible for budget
- Demonstrated capacity building and training skills
- Have knowledge and experience working with schools and communities.
- Ability to advocate for child center disaster risk reduction
- Have knowledge about disaster risk reduction and preparedness plans
- Have a commitment to work with vulnerable communities
- Have skills to coordinate with other partners (government and other NGOs).
- Ability to analyze, document and report
- Ability to manage time effectively and prioritize tasks
- Able to speak and write English.
- Ability to drive motorcycle and in possession of driving license.
- Able to use Microsoft word, excel and etc.
- 3. Senior Child Right Program Manager (1 Position)
CONTRACT LENGTH. The contract will be for six months, to provide maternity leave cover for the existing Manager. However there is a possibility of a long-term contract for a senior post after the initial six months.
- Supervision, management and mentoring of Child Rights Program team
- Preparation of budgets and supervision of Program expenditure
- Identification and assessment of partner NGOs in child rights programming;
- Contract management with local partners, including monitoring and analysis of partner narrative and expenditure reports
- Participation in evaluation and reviews of Plan’s child rights programs
- Design of new child rights programs for ending violence against children and women
- Train children and young people, local partners, government, teachers and Plan staff on child rights
- Actively participate in, and contribute to, national child rights forums
- Liaison with donors insider and outside Timor-Leste
Skills, qualifications, experience
- Masters degree or degree in social work, education, social sciences, or related fields
- Experience in promotion of children’s and/or women’s rights, including the right of women to be free from domestic violence
- Experience in community based protection of children from neglect and abuse
- Experience in participatory community development
- Experience in capacity building of local partners and training
- Experience in communications campaigns with children, young people and adults
- Demonstrated excellence in proposal and report writing, financial planning, management and reporting
- Experience in management and supervision of staff
- Fluent written and spoken English and Tetun are essential
FOR ALL PLAN POSITIONS AND CONSULTANCIES…
- Strong ICT skills, including Word, Excel and e-communications, are essential
- Strong commitment to the equal rights and participation of girls and women is essential
- Strong commitment to the Rights of the Child is essential
- Plan does not tolerate child abuse. All Plan staff and consultants are selected and employed in line with the conditions of Plan’s Child Protection Policy. These include appropriate reference and background checks.
- Applications will not be acknowledged. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No correspondence or telephone calls will be entered into.
- Short listed candidates will be required to attend panel interviews and other selection procedures.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 6 JANUARY 2014
TO APPLY FOR POSTS …. Send resume/CV, with cover letter and names and contact details of three referees, to Maria.Carvalho@plan-international.org or by hand to Plan, Rua Nu’u Laran No.20, Bairo dos Grilos (near Xanana Sports Centre, opposite CNRT office), Dili, Timor-Leste