Head Of Department – Political and Social Rights
Regional Program to Promote Gender Equality in Political Participation in Bangladesh, Cambodia, Philippines, Timor-Leste and Vietnam
About Paz y Desarrollo (PyD)
Paz y Desarrollo – Peace and Development – is a Non Governmental Development Organization founded in 1991 in Córdoba, Spain. Over its more than 20 years of work, Paz y Desarrollo has put in place more than 780 International Cooperation projects and programs in 35 countries across Asia, Latin America and Africa, seeking to improve women and men’s capacities and to ensure the sustainable development of communities. Paz y Desarrollo is a secular, non-political organization committed to promoting gender equality and women’s empowerment throughout its scope of activities.
About the Project:
The Regional Program to Promote Gender Equality in Political Participation in Bangladesh, Cambodia, Philippines, Timor-Leste and Vietnam aims to contribute to the realization of women’s political and civil rights by supporting initiatives that promote equal participation of women and men in good governance and democracy. This project is based on three main axes: 1) Support regional and national initiatives that serve as forums for debate and analyses among women duty-bearers, rights-holders, and moral bearers, 2) Strengthen good governance, promote women’s participation at different levels of public administration, and, incorporate gender equality in the political agenda, 3) Encourage initiatives on citizenship-building which promote women’s rights to political and civil participation. PyD Timor-Leste works in collaboration with various actors: Government, Civil Society, and International Organizations. The project is funded by AECID.
Under the Project Coordinator’s supervision, the candidate will be the focal point for the implementation of the project on “Regional Program to Promote Gender Equality in Political Participation in Bangladesh, Cambodia, Philippines, Timor-Leste and Vietnam”
The selected candidate will have the following responsibilities:
– Ensure efficient and effective planning and coordination between various activities led by facilitators;
– Ensure correct monitoring and evaluation of the activities implemented ;
– Promote PyD’staff and partners knowledge about relevant matter related to the project (political participation, gender equity, decentralization, civil education, etc.)
– Facilitate communication and coordination between PyD and its partners (SEPI, UNTL, DNDCAS, CNE, etc.);
– Support the development of the Centro Estudo Genero, at the UNTL;
– Directly implement activities (capacity building programs, ToT, etc.) whenever necessary;
– Timorese national;
– Language requirement:
- Proficiency in English and Tetun is mandatory;
- Knowledge of Portuguese, Bahasa Indonesia, and local dialects spoken in the target districts (Manatuto, Baucau, Viqueque, Lautem) would be an advantage;
– Academic background:
- University background in Social Sciences is strongly appreciated;
- PhD in relevant areas (Political Science, Gender, etc.) would be an advantage;
- Several years of experience in promoting women’s political and social rights in Timor-Leste. Experience in advocacy would be appreciate.
- Experience in working with NGOs or other international agencies.
- Highly proficient with Office Pack (Word, Excel, Power Point) and Internet;
- Good communication and writing skills;
- Managing, coordination and working in a team.
– Personal qualities :
- The selected candidate must be pro-active, motivated, autonomous and with strong organizational skills, flexible and creative, and diplomatic.
For those that are interested in this position, please submit your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com, CC: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include in the object of the email : “Application: Head of Department”.
PyD will directly contact those candidates that will be considered for an interview.
The deadline for the application is Friday, the 22nd of November, 2013.