Background and rationale
Timor-Leste is one of the fastest growing Nations in Asia, with a per capita growth of 5 – 6 percent per annum (WB). Its official per capita income is USD 1,068 due to its oil and gas revenues. Reconstruction of the country and its economy has been successful since full independence in 2002, and Timor-Leste is today a peaceful nation, having stabilised and recovered from the civil unrest of 2006-7. It is now in a rapid economic development phase.
Even with this oil wealth and swiftly changing economic environment, 41 percent of the country’s population are living below the poverty line, and malnutrition an endemic problem, that will affect the country’s ability to develop in line with its neighbours if it does not have a fit and healthy young population now.
Please Download the full TOR here–> ToRs for Consultant Food Consumption Paterns Study
Required knowledge and experience
Essential knowledge and experience of a high order are required in the following areas:
- Relevant academic background (community development, anthropology, nutrition, psychology, or relevant area);
- Demonstrated understanding of nutrition and food security concepts;
- Experience in facilitating participatory activities in the field;
- Demonstrated experience and understanding on Timor-Leste context.
Personal Attributes & Skills:
- Proven oral and written communication skills;
- Experience working with people of different cultures;
- Able to work under pressure and meeting deadlines;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Patience and flexibility;
- Commitment to social justice and gender equity;
- Experience of travelling and working in remote locations and with basic facilities;
- Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of Tetum or Bahasa Indonesia or Portuguese languages are desirable assets.
How to apply:
- 1 page (max) summary of proposed methodology
- Daily rate in USD
- Indication of availability
The closing date for applications is 25 October 2013. Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.