Internally & Externally
CARE International in Timor- Leste – CITL
Mudansa Klimatika iha Ambiente Seguru – MAKA’AS
Position Title: Supervisor of Bio- engineering component – National position
Place of Assignment: Project Office in Liquica with high presence in field sites
Duration: Temporary position 12 months
Reports to: National Project Manager
The Supervisor of Bio- engineering component (BE) of MAKA”AS project is responsible for the in-field implementation of the Bio-engineering techniques and infrastructures in MAKA’AS intervention area. This Bioengineering Component aims to reduce the erosion process of the catchment area and also reduce the run of the small rivers in the catchment. The implementation phase includes the identification of vulnerable areas, selection of the most suitable technique, the design of the infrastructure, the construction process, the supervision of human resources and quality control. Also as a part of his/her responsibilities is to assure the correct application of the Environmental Management Plan recommendations and report the progress of the component implementation.
The MAKA’AS project aims to build the adaptive capacity of women and men in vulnerable households living in six sucos in Liquiça District, with the goal of increasing their resilience to the unavoidable impacts of climate change. The sucos, with a population of 19,816, are located in two highly degraded watersheds in Liquiça District. Through building the adaptive capacity of women and men, the MAKA’AS project will contribute to the evidence base for gender-sensitive, environmentally sustainable Community-based Adaptation to climate change (CBA) in Timor-Leste. The project will be implemented by a consortium which will be led by CARE but also involve WaterAid and local partners.
Identification of strategic areas
Assist to MAKA’As team and community members to prioritize the strategic places to build BE infrastructure.
Selection of the BE technique
Regarding the area, the topography, environmental conditions, budget restrictions, social conditions and potential impact, select the most suitable BE technique to be implemented
- Organize the community brigades responsible to implement the BE infrastructures,
- Supervise the performance of the brigades in terms of working time and quality.
- Coordinate with Chefes the Suco, and chefes the aldeia the work plans for the implementation.
- Coordinate with the MAKA’As team the infield activities, regarding the community work and logistics.
- Coordinate with the MAKA’AS management unit all the procurement process regarding the BE component (tools, materials, etc.)
- Prepare and submit monthly written reports, reporting the level of advance of the component, obstacles, and lessons learned and challenges faced during the reporting time.
- Provide oral reports every week to the management unit.
- Ensure gender integration in the day to day activities
- Ensure the correct application the Environmental Management Plan regarding the BE Techniques.
- Promote a safe and secure work environment; foster a culture of safety and security awareness; and ensure consistent application of, and compliance with, CARE Timor-Leste safety and security policies and procedures.
The selected candidate must be prepared to be field-based and travel by motorcycle (either driving or passenger) to various field locations, including to remote regions.
|Education|| University degree in Civil engineering, Watershed management, other related fields
|Work Experience||Experience in Watershed management, supervision of infrastructure construction, supervision of work teams or related technical area and community empowerment work.|
|Skills||Excellent leadership skills;
Good training and facilitation skills;
Ability to work in a variety of settings:
Ability to lead and coordinate teams;
Strong experience in supervision of construction processes
Sound reporting skills;
Driving license holder for motorbike
Ability to use motorcycle for field visit
Strong capacity and ability to work in the field
|Languages||Excellent command of Tetum;
Good knowledge of spoken and written English
For those who are interested for this position, please submit the signed application letter with maximum 500 words and Curriculum Vitae with two references (Please DO NOT attached the other documents) to HR Unit, CARE International Timor-Leste, Bairro Pite Dili, OR CARE Base Office Liquica OR by email Olivia.email@example.com. The closing date for applications is 14 October 2013 at 5PM. Only the short listed applicant will be contacted for the interview.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer. Women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
CARE International Timor-Leste is committed to protecting the rights of children in all areas we work. Applicants are advised that CARE International Timor-Leste reserves the right to conduct police checks and other screening procedures to ensure a child-safe environment.