REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Democratic Republic of East Timor
Management Strengthening Project
Grant Nos: TF012495
Expressions of interest
The Democratic Republic of East Timor has received financing administered by the World Bank under Global Partnership for Education Fund toward the cost of the Management Strengthening Project (MSP), and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consultant services regarding National Finance Officer /Cashier.
A key function of the National Finance Officer/Cashier will be to assist the National Senior Finance Officer in the financial administration and the petty cash management. The specific responsibilities of the National Finance Officer/Cashier will, but not limited to:
- Supervising all the petty cash vouchers before processing a purchase requisition for petty cash;
- Preparing and organising all the payments by petty cash;
- Preparing and organising all the petty cash advances by petty cash vouchers;
- Replenishments of petty cash vouchers using the procedures for payments;
- Distributing monies to directorates in the Ministry, districts, sub-districts and individual schools when required;
- Weekly petty cash reconciliation and on the last working day of each month;
- Maintenance of financial records of the different projects;
- Physical counts of inventories, when required;
- Maintaining a professional working relationship with colleagues in Financial Management Unit, with Ministry-staff, and auditors during the course of carrying out duties;
- Maintaining financial records of the different projects;
- Gathering of information from schools, when required;
- Delivering and collecting cheques from treasury;
- Requisition of cash from the bank;
- Organizing and preparing petty cash and small payments by cheques, telegraphic transfers and petty cash using the Procedures for payments;
- Issuing petty cash payment vouchers and supervising the supporting documentation for payments;
- Supervising petty cash activities and replenishments;
- Performing any other task as directed by the National Senior Financial Officer or the National Director of Planning and Finance;
- Participation in the training and capacity development in finance for the Ministry of Education staff responsible for finance and administration. The training should be in line with the general capacity building program developed in collaboration with the International and National Financial Advisors. Training should be in different or combined approaches such as continuous, on the job training as well as more structured, modular or seminar based activities focusing on the national financial system.
The Ministry of Education of the Democratic Republic of East Timor now invites eligible individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing the services for this position. Firms are not invited to propose individual consultants. Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (CV, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills, etc.). Qualification requirements are:
- Holder of Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or other relevant field of study, with at least 3 years of proven experience in the area of (Public) Financial Administration in particular in development projects or programmes or prominent relevant experience in financial administration and reporting particularly in complex, large development projects (minimum 10 years);
- Must have demonstrable communication, organisation and financial administration skills;
- Must be able to demonstrate the use of adequate standards and accuracy in accounting, financial reporting and implementation;
- Possession of good knowledge of Timor-Leste’s Civil Service systems would be considered a strong advantage;
- Fluency in Tetun both oral and in writing. Good knowledge of English, Portuguese is an advantage;
- Able to take other initiatives that would assist the Ministry in improving financial management of World Bank supported projects.
The assignment is planned for 23 months and expected to commence in August 2013.
Interested eligible consultants may obtain further information and a copy of the Terms of Reference from the Management Strengthening Project at the address given below or visit our website at: www.me.gov.tl/recrutamento—anuncio-de-vagas
The email subject heading must be: National Finance Officer /Cashier.
A consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits and Grants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011).
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours 09:00 to 17:00 hours of local time.
The Expression of Interest together with your latest curriculum vitae must be delivered to the email address given below by 13 August, 2013.
Attn: Mr. Danino da Cunha
National Director of Procurement
Ministry of Education
Democratic Republic of East Timor
Vila Verde, Dili
Tel: +670 3311035