Applying for an Australia Awards Scholarship
Australia Awards Scholarships in Timor-Leste
Australia’s international development assistance in Timor-Leste aims to assist the people of Timor-Leste to develop the qualifications, professional skills and knowledge necessary for the development of the country.
Australia Awards Scholarships are prestigious international awards offered by the Australian Government to the next generation of global leaders for development. Through study and research, recipients develop the skills and knowledge to drive change and help build enduring people-to-people links with Australia.
Applicants will be assessed for their professional and personal qualities, academic competence and, most importantly, their potential to impact on development challenges in Timor-Leste.
Applications are strongly encouraged from women, people with disability and people from the following rural areas.
Priority fields of study
The priority areas of study for Timor-Leste are:
- Education and training
- Agriculture and Rural Development
- Private Sector Development
Please see attached list of specific studies that fall under the broader priority areas above.
Level of study
Australia Awards Scholarships
These Scholarships provide citizens of Timor-Leste with the opportunity to obtain an undergraduate or postgraduate qualification at an Australian tertiary institution. Scholarships are available for the following levels of study:
- Diploma and Advanced Diploma
- Undergraduate Studies
- Postgraduate Studies (Masters & PhD)
Australia Awards Benefits
Australia Awards Scholarships are offered for the minimum period necessary for the individual to complete the academic program specified by the Australian education institution, including any preparatory training.
Scholarship recipients will generally receive the following:
• return air travel
• a one off establishment allowance on arrival
• full tuition fees
• contribution to living expenses
• introductory academic program
• Overseas Student Health Cover for the duration of the Scholarship
• supplementary academic support and
• fieldwork allowance (for Masters by course work or PhD students).
Australia Awards applicants must meet all eligibility requirements detailed in the Scholarships Policy Handbook, available at:
In addition to these basic eligibility requirements, candidates from Timor-Leste must also meet the following country specific conditions:
- be an East Timorese national and have lived in Timor‑Leste for at least five years;
- be usually and currently resident in Timor-Leste;
- not hold a scholarship that would give overlapping benefits;
- be applying to commence a new course of study at a level higher than your current qualification.
- be able to take up the scholarship in the year for which it is offered (2015); and
- for Civil Servants, be endorsed by your sponsoring organisation, e.g. Ministry, Statutory Authority, Agency.
- all applicants must have very good English language skills. The overall IELTS score for diploma, advanced diploma and undergraduate level study should not be less than 5.0 (or 5.5 for postgraduate study), with no band score less than 4.5 (or 5.0 for postgraduate study). If you have applied before and got an overall IELTS score less than what is required, you must show evidence of English language study since then;
- applicants for postgraduate study must have a recognised undergraduate (S1) degree with a Grade Point Average of at least 2.75; PhD candidates must have GPA of at least 3.0;
- applicants for undergraduate study must have graduated from senior high school with an average final grade of 7;
- mature age applicants (21 years old and over) with suitable levels of work experience in government, civil society or the private sector who can demonstrate a capacity to be successful in higher education studies may be eligible to apply for either diploma, advanced diploma and undergraduate or certain types of postgraduate study. They should possess a minimum of high school average final grade of 6.5  and an undergraduate degree (S1) with average final grade of 2.5 and at least five (5) years of relevant professional experience; and
- be committed to return to Timor-Leste when you finish your degree and apply your knowledge and skills to the development of Timor-Leste.
Applicants must also meet the following country specific conditions:
Application dates (for study commencing in Australia in 2015)
Opening date: 9 December 2013
Closing date: 17 February 2014
Applications or supporting documents received after this date will not be considered.
The application process
Application forms can be obtained from:
- AATL district visits between 9 December and 18 December 2013. Exact dates are available at:
Tjing Fa Ho House #01 – 01
No: 85 Bairro de Lecidere
Read the rest of this entry